Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Wall preparation advice in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Toogo0d

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi All,

Just after some advice on the best way to approach the wall preparation of a job i have availability to start next week.

The customer wants 400 x 300 ceramic tiles installed from floor to ceiling.

Wall details;
Outside window wall is constructed of concrete block and internal walls are 3 inch thermalite block. Previously the walls were tiled half height and full height in shower area and on removal it has removed areas of the bonding and plaster (nothing new). On inspection i highlighted to the customer that areas of the bonding had blown and that the best approach would be to remove damaged/blown areas and have them repaired by a professional plasterer prior to me tile, as they're in urgent need for the bathroom they asked if over boarding would be a possibility, to which i replied yes having over boarded concrete block and timber walls with cement boards/waterproof boards etc etc, but inspecting the shower area walls where all the bonding and plaster came away with the tile has me questioning the longevity of dabbing and mechanically fixing boards through into the thermalite block, as most of the blocks are cracked and damaged.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Please see attached pictures of wall condition.

IMG_4438.JPG IMG_4439.JPG IMG_4441.JPG IMG_4442.JPG

OP
Toogo0d

Toogo0d

TF
Reaction score
Just to give some history on the job, i initially visited prior to bathroom removal to quote for the re-tile of the bathroom, i advised the customer that i would need to see the wall condition once removed and this was the condition. If the block work was in a solid condition i wouldn't be asking for advice, but as the 75mm insulation block and mortar isn't in a solid condition i thought best to get advice from someone with more experience on this. Thanks

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
To be honest unless the wall is wobbling then just do as you would do, if its wobbling it needs to comedown and rebuilt, but from the pictures it looks ok, just a bit rough .

jobdone

TF
Reaction score
Not unusual to see block work in that condition.knock the rest of the plaster and bonding coat off then dry line with plaster board dabs at 300 centres. Skrim and fill the joints. Nice flat level walls will gain the time spent prepping the walls back when tile

Reply to Wall preparation advice in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock