Discuss Wall prep - this will take a while! in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Matty

TF
Reaction score
Started ripping out some shower/wet wall panels in our bathroom to discover two layers of tiles before reaching the brickwork..man it's tough to get of!

Thinking the best way to go is strip it back to the brickwork before fitting a backer board? Seems like the plasterboard above the tile level was flush with the outer tile. As the new tiles will just go up to this level hopefully we can backer board out level with this again,or maybe just strip the whole lot to get as much space as possible.

Any tips on the best tools/process to get the old tiles of? Or the best course of action here? Cheers!
15638174629098678929371578747515.jpg
15638173508027078796987730813032.jpg
15638173933088471359312373505958.jpg

Tile Fix Direct

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
If you can get the surface fairly perpendicular then you could over fix with Orbry Tile Backer mechanically fixed with Spankers. This might save you significant time. Suggest long board 12.5mm or 20mm.

Matty

TF
Reaction score
If you can get the surface fairly perpendicular then you could over fix with Orbry Tile Backer mechanically fixed with Spankers. This might save you significant time. Suggest long board 12.5mm or 20mm.

Brilliant, thanks. Will have a look at these, the old tiles are coming of ok, wonder could Orby be fixed over the old sand/cement mix that's on the brickwork? Mechanically fixed through this into the brickwork.

Tile Fix Direct

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
Yes, the board should be stuck with cement based tile adhesive, but this is a secondary fixing in addition to the mechanical fixed spankers. The system will also provide insulate properties which will reduce condensation and make the room feel warmer. If you tape the joints it will also be a waterproof surface.

J

Jason Wales

Just reading with interest, similar thing going on here.

I've got a half tiled bath area that needs replacing so I pulled the tiles off (black ash mortar fixed onto cement/brick).

I hacked the black mortar off and now I'm pondering how to merge the bottom half with the flat plastered top half.

I was thinking to fix a backer board across the bottom and match it to the top mortar (sand cement mix).
Is that possible?

I'm loathe to taking off good plaster that looks ok to tile on as the black stuff will make a huge mess.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just reading with interest, similar thing going on here.

I've got a half tiled bath area that needs replacing so I pulled the tiles off (black ash mortar fixed onto cement/brick).

I hacked the black mortar off and now I'm pondering how to merge the bottom half with the flat plastered top half.

I was thinking to fix a backer board across the bottom and match it to the top mortar (sand cement mix).
Is that possible?

I'm loathe to taking off good plaster that looks ok to tile on as the black stuff will make a huge mess.

A job from earlier this year, removed badly damaged sand cement render back to brick/block work and lined with 6mm Delta board and mechanically fixed with screws and washers.

77F3E88C-09C3-473D-9054-A67C2DC52F95.jpeg ED3C1B2E-EBC9-449B-AA3E-ECED1ADD9AEE.jpeg

Reaction score
Looks good, think I'll have to do similar.

Think that the half board option is no good as I can't match the two halves of the wall with 6mm.

Think I'll build up the bottom in render or hardwall and then screw 6mm backer board across the lot (Hardieboard seems popular).

One concern then is refitting the bath (I'll have to remove it as the bath was fitted to the old tiles).
Best practice apparently is to fit bath to the wall and then fix backer boards a few cm away from bath edge to avoid it getting soaked...the tile on top down to the bath edge.
Everyone says don't fit the bath to the backer boards.
Also they say never tile on hardwall render as it's too absorbent for tile adhesive.
So I'm guessing there's only a few options:
1: Sand/cement render and tile on top
2. Hardwall then finishing plaster then a Pva wash and then tile on top.
3. Backer boards

This will add a bit to the wall so need to be careful tiles will meet my bath correctly...else might have to fix the bath to some plywood.

There's a pic....the house has got old original tiles around the room but they have failed around the bath so I plan on putting a different style round the bath, above the tiles was wallpaper so no good with a shower and had to go.

Think I'm going to try backer boards as it's a shower and I'll hope it'll last.
20190724_193834.jpg

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I always board walls first then fix baths and shower trays to them, sealing the edge with sealant before tiling.

Yes your correct, backing plasters, ie bonding are not suitable for tiling to.

PVA is not a suitable primer for tiling, you should use a SBR or Acrylic primer for this.

If you are using Hardie Backer and you are installing a shower then this will need tanking before tiling as its only moisture resistant.

Hope this helps :).

Reply to Wall prep - this will take a while! in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks