Discuss Wall prep for tiling advice in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Can any of you advice me on the best action to take to prepare the wall for tiling? Removing the old tiles pulled away a lot of the old render, leaving the bare powdery surface covering the brickwork. Thank you

DSC_1856.JPG DSC_1855.JPG DSC_1854.JPG DSC_1853.JPG DSC_1857.JPG

O

On one

Have you taken all of the loose finish plaster off
How much of the undercoat plaster is visible %

Wayne Brown

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Remove all the loose plaster seal all the walls with a mix of 3 parts water to 1 part unibond once dry apply a neat coat of unibond, this will leave a slight tack to the surface when dried then the whole room will need reskimming , this will need time to dry maybe a week before sealing with a quality acrylic tile primer 2 coats follow the manufacturers instructions good prep will give you a great finished job. Cheers kop

W

Waluigi

Shame it’s not a nice S&C render underneath.

First thing I’d do to that wall is get a straight edge on it to see what I have. Also check to see how Plumb it is.

The majority of the time these days, I take it back to brick/block and dot and dab plasterboard on. Get things perfect at the early stages and the finished product will be far better. 600 x 300 is still a large tile so the wall needs to be flat.

I’m not saying this is necessarily the best course of action. You might be able to get away with a skim. Suction will be ridiculous o that though so PVAing needs to be thorough.

Reaction score
Have you taken all of the loose finish plaster off
How much of the undercoat plaster is visible %
Most of it yes, had only shortly before removed tiles so still need to scrape some more off. This is where the bath was and the skim coat over the render was quite crumbly and practically fell off leaving the finish you see in the pic.

DSC_1858.JPG

Reaction score
Remove all the loose plaster seal all the walls with a mix of 3 parts water to 1 part unibond once dry apply a neat coat of unibond, this will leave a slight tack to the surface when dried then the whole room will need reskimming , this will need time to dry maybe a week before sealing with a quality acrylic tile primer 2 coats follow the manufacturers instructions good prep will give you a great finished job. Cheers kop
Thanks for the advice Wrighty. Is reskimming the walls the only way? Is this is the best option then so be it. Can l not just skim the areas that sit back of the render that is left behind? There must be a 3mm difference.

Reaction score
Easier to just plasterboard ifyou have the room
I was considering that, but it is a space issue yes. I may just do that wall as other walls have stayed sound after tiles have been taken off. Would you take it back to the brickwork and dot and dab straight onto that or would it need sealing first?

S

Spare Tool

I've not come come across a perfectly skimmed room yet.. Imo best way would be to either overboard as it is and mechanically fix through to brick, or knock the lot off and dot and dab plasterboard and take that opportunity to get everything flat and plumb..
You will no doubt be pushing your weight limits very close to or more than likely over recommended skim weight limits anyway.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've not come come across a perfectly skimmed room yet.. Imo best way would be to either overboard as it is and mechanically fix through to brick, or knock the lot off and dot and dab plasterboard and take that opportunity to get everything flat and plumb..
You will no doubt be pushing your weight limits very close to or more than likely over recommended skim weight limits anyway.
You have not come across a perfectly skimmed room yet :fearscream:me and you are going to be having words

Reaction score
If its only 3 mm & your walls are true give it a good coat of acrylic primers undiluted preferably then skim over with powered adhesive & use a 8 or 10 mm notched trowel to fix tiles with

Reply to Wall prep for tiling advice in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks