Discuss Wall prep advice please in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Nic_P74

TF
Esteemed
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi all,
New bathroom Job coming up Monday. Solid walls. Old files to rip off. Walls are skim on render. Guy says render is hard as rock dimensions are tight so not got room to dot and dab. If the render stays tight what would be best prep before tanking? All work I have done for last 5 years is on PB so rip it all of replace and tank. All last solid walls I’ve done render/hard wall has been moisture damage and I’ve taken back to brick/block and started again. TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LM

Hi all,
New bathroom Job coming up Monday. Solid walls. Old files to rip off. Walls are skim on render. Guy says render is hard as rock dimensions are tight so not got room to dot and dab. If the render stays tight what would be best prep before tanking? All work I have done for last 5 years is on PB so rip it all of replace and tank. All last solid walls I’ve done render/hard wall has been moisture damage and I’ve taken back to brick/block and started again. TIA
Have you not answered your own question?
Take it back to brick and waterproof backer board in wet area and d&d plaster board on the rest of the walls.

Nic_P74

TF
Esteemed
Esteemed
Reaction score
Have you not answered your own question?
Take it back to brick and waterproof backer board in wet area and d&d plaster board on the rest of the walls.
Yeah kind of and gives me a solid base I ha e done and am sure of. But...
If the render is that solid could spend a loong time trying to get it off. Just wondered if good alternative to removing it all.

L

LM

So is the suggestion here that the skim is removed from the render and remedial work carried out to that before tanking?
I don’t fancy that as a task if it is.

B

Blunt Tool

So is the suggestion here that the skim is removed from the render and remedial work carried out to that before tanking?
I don’t fancy that as a task if it is.
No just scrape off loose stuff prime and skim with fast set addey simples

Nic_P74

TF
Esteemed
Esteemed
Reaction score
At approx 5 tiles per mtr plus your adhesive and water you’re well over the weight limit of 20kgs for finish plaster.
Yeah, these were supposed to be smaller ceramic tiles for he walls. The supplier apparently was not getting stock in time so the bathroom designer has changed them to the same as the floor tiles looks like it’ll be back to the block and backer boards.

Reply to Wall prep advice please in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks