Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Vitrex PRO 750W in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi All,

I'm just about to tile my bathroom and am working with much bigger tiles than I have used before and am looking to get a better tile saw than I have currently (a cheap DIY thing)

I have looked into hiring one and have decided to spend the money on buying one as the costs will be similar and I will have a tool for life as it won't do a huge amount of work as it will just be used at home for DIY, I have looked around and found this one which looks the part and seems to have good reviews:

Vitrex - QEP Pro-750 Wet Saw / Tile Cutter (select voltage) £0.00 in stock - next day UK delivery

The cuts it will be doing almost exclusively on my bathroom will be cutting the corner mitres, the tiles I am using are 500mmx200mm and it will be the 200mm width getting mitred, the tiles are 8mm thick and I think ceramic.

I am also using iridescent mosaic tiles for the feature wall, well a strip of 300mmx300mm from floor to ceiling, will this cutter be able to cut these or will I need a different blade?

Cheers for the advice.

Jon.

OP
M

mattle40

I've no experience with this cutter but I would see no problems in what you want it for.
I would be more inclined to look at a norton tt180 for around £90 or norton tt200 for £130-160 last time I looked

Reaction score
I've got one of those and its not a bad bit of kit for the money, although it does spray a lot of water around it does cut well, i've used it on porcelain and ceramic and had no problems :thumbsup:

andy8758

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I had a Vitrex 750 a couple of years ago - but plastics bits kept breaking off and the blade cover/protector was too fragile and I had to bodge a repair on it - always caused problems afterwards. However it does handle 600 x 600 porcelain easily and with the right blade (e.g. Markist 850) it cuts very cleanly.

OP
J

jond500

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

I went and picked the Vitrex up yesterday and it looks very solid built and should fulfil my needs. I picked up some chipped tiles FOC to practice on. The Norton looks like a great bit of kit but a bit beyond my budget... bearing in mind I hadn't factored in Hardibacker, Mapei sealing kit, primer and a whole host of other things to do my bathroom properly before I came on here i'm way over the original budget :)

But i'm a firm believer in doing things right! That's what was drilled into me during my aircraft engineering apprenticeship, right first time, on time, every time! the on time will not be met this time lol, already 6 weeks over.

Cheers for all the advice!

Jon.

OP
I

Ian Kennedy

Very disappointed with this tile cutter, poorly made and overpriced.
When mitring the tile does not align with the corner the blade makes and an extra 3mm is cut off!
Water sprays up from the back of the machine.
The disc included chips porcelain tiles very badly.
It takes a long time to set up the fence which is week and moves during use, meaning it is useless.
Avoid at all costs!

Reaction score
Have you tried checking the machine's settings? I mean make sure the angle guide is properly adjusted and that the cutting blade is securely fixed.

As for the issue of water spraying up from the back of the machine, make sure the water reservoir is properly attached and sealed. Check for any faulty cables or hoses that might be causing this problem.

What about the disc that chips the porcelain tiles badly, Idk(

But I hope my tips will help you.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

I went and picked the Vitrex up yesterday and it looks very solid built and should fulfil my needs. I picked up some chipped tiles FOC to practice on. The Norton looks like a great bit of kit but a bit beyond my budget... bearing in mind I hadn't factored in Hardibacker, Mapei sealing kit, primer and a whole host of other things to do my bathroom properly before I came on here i'm way over the original budget :)

But i'm a firm believer in doing things right! That's what was drilled into me during my aircraft engineering apprenticeship, right first time, on time, every time! the on time will not be met this time lol, already 6 weeks over.

Cheers for all the advice!
http://essaypapers.reviews/
Jon.
I disagree 'cause I have a sadder experience... I also got the Vitrex, and honestly, it's not as solid as I expected. It looks okay, but it's not fulfilling my needs at all. And those chipped tiles I got for free? They're just a disaster to practice on. I should have never wasted my time with them((

Reply to Vitrex PRO 750W in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris14498
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock