Discuss virgin seeks advice fitting new shower/tiles in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hey all, first post, first time tiler...

Throwing myself into the deep end, I'm about to rip out my old bath and replace it with a shower to fit the alcove (1800x800) I've currently got horrible white contractor's tiles from the ceiling to the bath edge, so first question: Do i tile or go with shower panels?

if i keep the tiles, i'm left with a 4mm "step" when i remove the bath. Can i add a thicker adhesive to compensate for the "step" when tiling over the existing or would you recommend sourcing some tiles of the same thickness and banging them on to the wall first? (for reference, the existing tiles are 4mm 148mm x 148 plain flat white) do they even make 4mm tiles, because i've not been able to find any on the web so if anyone can link to some....)

Next question, I'm proper paranoid about water getting down between the tray and the tiles. Obvs i'm gonna tank all the way round the alcove that but wondered what else i can do to help stop leaks damaging the ceiling (upstairs bathroom). As the existing floor is proper rubbish and creaky, i thought about pulling the chipboard up and replacing it with 12mm marine ply all the way through before putting in the new tray. Can i tank the marine ply? and any other suggestions to try to minimise potential water damage? Have looked at the Schluter system but it's way beyond my budget to be honest so will have to make do.

Thanks in advance

Stool

Reply to virgin seeks advice fitting new shower/tiles in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks