Discuss vinyl tiles in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

J

jonnieb1962

TF
Reactions
hi everyone,who has the best solution for tiling a floor that has had vinyl tiles laid on it,the problem is the glue that was used to fix the vinyl tiles,i have asked the question many times to the technical departments and always been told that you cannot put cement based adhesives or levelling compounds onto this glue,in the past i have overlaid floors with 6mm hardi backer board screwed down obviously but on this occasion i can't,

john,

J

jonnieb1962

TF
Reactions
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
no,i have to remove the vinyl tiles first,i normally tile over them but there are quite a few that aren't stuck down too good so i'll have to remove them

A

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reactions
862 6
remove the vynil tiles, remove the glue and carry on as normal. the glue will be a styrene base so will need a hand grinder. once this is up you will be dealing with effectively clean concrete. Vac it, prime it, level it, tile it.

J

jonnieb1962

TF
Reactions
cheers,what would you put on the grinder,one of those steel wire attachments.

I

Ian

As you say use a steel wire grinder attachment or a cupped grinder wheel. You may also find that if you heat the glue up it will scrape off quite easily. I'll try and find a link for the grinder attachment.

I

Ian

Here you go TradeTiler.Ltd Search Results

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jonnieb1962

TF
Reactions
thanks bri i'll give it a go,i take it no one knows of anything that will stick to the glue then,

I

Ian

Well I'd say that a latex SLC will do the job as I've seen some floor layers doing it (Amtico/Karndean etc) or use a slurry coat (cement SBR mix) similar to what you might use on a bitumen adhesive from the old school vinyl tiles. A mate of mine fits Amtico and uses F.Ball stopgap levelling compounds but, if you read the blurb on this link it says it's suitable for use over minimal adhesive residue, so best to get as much up as you can first F-Ball Stopgap 300 HD (Small Bag - 25kg) - Directflooring2u

J

jonnieb1962

TF
Reactions
cheers bri,what they say is i have to get some of the old adhesive up then use p131 which is a neoprene primer then cover it with the stopgap 300hd and that should work,thanks again to all who replied

Reply to vinyl tiles in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

New Threads (Sitewide)

Top Bottom

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.