Discuss vinyl tiles on wood in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

MissTiler

MissTiler

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reactions
1,219 3
Hi

I have a small floor (4m2) I'll be doing soon. Originally I was going to use plastic ply on the wood floor, but the customer recently discovered part of the wood floor has vinyl tiles (most was covered in lino) on it that are hard to shift or leave a very sticky residue. I went back to have a look and thought surely I can leave the vinyl tiles down and just lay wood ply straight over the whole lot. Is that do-able? The vinyl tiles are solid and screwing through them shouldnt be a problem.

cheers
missyT

G

garretridge

i would advise you to remove all and do it right its only 4m2 so easy to do quickly you wont know what you are screwing onto without seeing the floor underneath.i would use no more ply or cement board glued and screwed at 200mm centres and flexi adhesive and grout a much better option than ply!:thumbsup:

P

Phil Hobson

TF
Supporter
Reactions
230 1
I can't see a problem screwing the ply through the vinyl, if there is a height difference between the existing floor and the vinyl, it can only be 2mm or so. A slc fibre type suitable for timber substrates would make up the difference, prior to laying the ply. Glad you did'nt go with the plastic ply:ban::thumbsup:

P

Phil Hobson

TF
Supporter
Reactions
230 1
i would advise you to remove all and do it right its only 4m2 so easy to do quickly you wont know what you are screwing onto without seeing the floor underneath.i would use no more ply or cement board glued and screwed at 200mm centres and flexi adhesive and grout a much better option than ply!:thumbsup:
I must agree I am fast becoming a fan of backerboards, with the amount of poor quality ply around:thumbsup:

MissTiler

MissTiler

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reactions
1,219 3
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Theres hardly any difference in height, an the customer has all ready tried to remove the tiles, he found it difficult and they break up. What I'll probably do is try using the my heat gun to make it easier and then ply over the wood floor, if it still wont shift them I'll ply over them, but using more scews where the tiles are. I know that the whole floor is wood.

cheers

missyT

G

garretridge

I must agree I am fast becoming a fan of backerboards, with the amount of poor quality ply around:thumbsup:
yes phil thats why i always recommend not using ply anymore cheap imported ply its absolute rubbish the days of a quality ply at the local builders merchants are few and far between i love no more ply its easy to use and i get it cheaper than a sheet of ply!:thumbsup:

MissTiler

MissTiler

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reactions
1,219 3
Ive not used backerboards instead of ply before, so what is the best way to fix them to wood floors?

cheers
missyT

G

Gazzer

I would go with the NMP option. You can either use SPF adhesive or (my choice) NMP mega strength adhesive in a tube ( very sticky stuff it is) then I usually put at least 12 screws per board even thiough they say only needs 8.
The Home Of No More Ply

MissTiler

MissTiler

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reactions
1,219 3
I would go with the NMP option. You can either use SPF adhesive or (my choice) NMP mega strength adhesive in a tube ( very sticky stuff it is) then I usually put at least 12 screws per board even thiough they say only needs 8.
The Home Of No More Ply
I think I'll give NMP a go on this job. Many thanks for all your help.x

missyT

Last edited:

Reply to vinyl tiles on wood in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Floor Advice - Flooring Forum 0