Discuss Vinyl tiles AAHHHH in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

B

BigAl

OK, so I'm going to tile my kitchen floor using large tiles. I've lifted the old tiles and at the moment the floor has VERY well stuck down vinyl tiles. These were stuck onto VERY well stuck down vinyl tiles!!! There are also some areas that have no tiles on at all.

Now, I tried to get them up and they are a PAIN. Those I did manage, left half the foam and adhesive on the floor. The floor itself is pretty flat, apart from the odd few areas, but as I'm using huge tiles I want to use SLC. Are 60x60 tile very unforgiving?

MUST the vinyl tile come up in order to use SLC? (I hope they don't) If so, can I SLC over the old bits of foam and adhesive?

D

DHTiling

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Use a hot air( heat gun) gun to soften them and they will just peel up..

S

SandyFloor

I've lifted a lot over the years. The two posts above have it spot on. Sometimes I've even used two heat guns in one hand. Occasionally you can get a jemmy bar under them and slide it under. If they're the old Marley tiles bonded down with the black adhesive, be careful of the fumes when heating them. Always have the door and windows open anyway. Other than that it's just a case of patience.

T

tfs

Hammer and chisel does the job too mate!

G

grumpygrouter

OK, so I'm going to tile my kitchen floor using large tiles. I've lifted the old tiles and at the moment the floor has VERY well stuck down vinyl tiles. These were stuck onto VERY well stuck down vinyl tiles!!! There are also some areas that have no tiles on at all.

Now, I tried to get them up and they are a PAIN. Those I did manage, left half the foam and adhesive on the floor. The floor itself is pretty flat, apart from the odd few areas, but as I'm using huge tiles I want to use SLC. Are 60x60 tile very unforgiving?

MUST the vinyl tile come up in order to use SLC? (I hope they don't) If so, can I SLC over the old bits of foam and adhesive?
Yes!!!!

P

Pebbs

Al,
In this heat do yourself a favour get someone in to do it!

Pebbs

M

marbleman

TF
Reactions
What member type are you?
Professional Wall and Floor Tiler
bully scraper or just us a can-go withthin blade scraper works well, nasty job to do gl

E

easyt

I used a wallpaper stripper steam plate and no problem. Left it on each tile for 10 seconds or so, lifted edge with a paint scraper and pulled up.

B

BigAl

D'oh. I suppose i'd better get cracking.
The tile's are actually 50x50, not 60x60. Still not very forgiving I suppose. I'm regreting getting the large ones now :(

D

DHTiling

It will be fine, just take your time..

Reply to Vinyl tiles AAHHHH in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

New Threads (Sitewide)

Top Bottom

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.