Discuss Vinyl Silk Emulsion on walls to be tiled in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

C

cornish_crofter

Is it really necessary to remove the paint on the walls when it seems to have welded itself to the plaster?

I have removed the loose stuff but some of it is that well adhered to the walls that it is actually taking multifinish with it as it comes off.

Another method I had considered was scoring the walls to provide a key.

D

Deleted member 9966

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi CC. I took a sander to my painted bathroom walls but didn't manage to get it all off. have tiled over it and so far it looks good. so long as you get as much of the paint off, you should be ok.

A

aph257

Simple, the paint has to come off, if you've ever seen the damage a tile makes to a bath then you'll not take any shortcuts!!!! I use a Fein with the Rasp fitting and a HD scraper, but any orbital sander will do.

whitebeam

whitebeam

Arms
Reactions
2,787 3
Sometimes even if it feels tough to remove water/moisture can release the paint

C

cornish_crofter

Thanks

It looks like I'll have to remove the paint then.

The tiles are only the cheap light 200 x 250 from CTD. Up until now I have been tiling on unpainted surfaces, I just wondered if removing the paint was overkill.

Dan

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reactions
5,262 27
What member type are you?
DIY Wall and Floor Tiler
I was going to say, wipe it with a wet sponge a few times and wait a little while, do it a again a few times, if the sponge takes paint off you defiantly need to remove it. If not then there's a chance doing the old diamond scoring thing every couple of inches apart would suffice.

Best always to remove it though to be fair.

T

tfs

I abraded my own bathroom with an orbital sander to roughen up as much as I could and remove loose paint and whatever other paint the 80 grit paper would remove. My tiles were light ceramics and they are still on strong.

Peice of mind would say to try and advise the customer to resheat (go down the moisture board/ backer board route)

C

cornish_crofter

I've cleared off the paint in the shower area, not that there was much anyway. One side has been built out with a sheet of wediboard whilst the other two sides had tile adhesive and paint cleaned off them.

The shower area will be tanked completely anyway as will other areas likely to be affected by direct spray.

Reply to Vinyl Silk Emulsion on walls to be tiled in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Floor Advice - Flooring Forum 1

New Threads (Sitewide)

Top Bottom

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.