Discuss Vinyl Floor in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

A

athlonoc

Hi all,

I've just been tasked with helping out my neighbour after they heard I had tiled a few floors in my time but have come up against a dilemma.

As I started to take off what was deemed to be a single layer of vinyl there was another beneath it. This bottom piece of vinyl has been applied to the concrete base with what looks like either a 1 to 2mm layer of floor adhesive similar to tiling adhesive or a thin skim of concrete.

Which ever it is it's taking an eternity to remove. I can remove a an inch or two square at a time by using a bolster to hack away at it. The space to be removed will at this rate take at least 3 to 4 days.

2 main questions are:-

1) is there an easy way to remove this vinyl floor other than hammer and bolster? I have tried as someone suggested using a wood plainer but that proved pretty useless not forgetting the possibility of messing it up.

2) or the preferred option of tiling on top of this non porous surface with a specific porcelain tile adhesive. There is no give in this vinyl, it's stuck 100% across the floor and is totally and gap free.

I'd rather not buy ply or concrete screed the floor.

Thanks everyone and hope someone can help or offer a way forward.

Regards

Lee

kevsalt

kevsalt

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
127 1
if its that stable id tile over it with flexi rapid ...4mm coat on the floor back butter the tiles should be sound

whitebeam

whitebeam

Supporter
Arms
Reactions
2,787 3
You could Stanley knife the vinyl into strips which helps with removal...

S

StevieBoy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, I would cut it into strips as white beam suggested.

Also, if you buy one of those heavy duty scrapers, either a Harris or one from trade tiler where they have the blades in them sharp like a Stanley knife that should get it up no probs

Better safe than sorry.

A

athlonoc

Brill, thanks for the answers. I'll try everything as mentioned as personally it makes sense to remove. Trying to keep my costs down for the neighbour.

Regards

Lee

P

p4ulo

On a separate thread its been suggested you "could" bond a movement matting to it (schluter for example) using some kind of adhesive, then tile onto that?
@AliGage - what would you recommend?

Reply to Vinyl Floor in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

New Threads (Sitewide)

Top Bottom

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.