Discuss vinyl floor? in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

L

lcjohno

TF
Just been to look at a job which i'm starting tomo for a kitchen company and the floor has vinyl over it, its 10m2 but the tiles are 600x600. The vinyl is solid though, can i tile over it??

A

Alan.P

TF
Supporter
Reactions
If your asking can you, then yes you can, if your asking should you, the answer is NO. No way of knowing what the substrate is like, how well it is fixed, even though it seems to be fixed well, for the small amount of effort it will take to lift it, lift it :thumbsup:

A

aqua blue

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gTHkgc9vUc]YouTube - Bad Job Laying Ceramic[/ame]

Not a happy bunny!!

L

lcjohno

TF
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
:oops: Dont know what happend then.
I didn't think you could lay ontop of vinyl at all until a searched a couple of threads on here. The only reason i want to tile on top is because its stuck down so well. Its asphalt underneath. Any tips on removing it?

A

aqua blue

Hold on Icjohno. I have a feeling someone will come along with a cunning plan.

L

lcjohno

TF
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Floor scraper :cool3: :smilewinkgrin:
I was worried that would be the answer. Nightmare of a job :mad2:

A

aqua blue

The main problem with vinyl is that it is not porous, therefore will not bond well even when sanded off. However there may be a two stage adhesive solution.

A

aqua blue

If it comes to scraping a heat gun may soften the vinyl and addy, making the job quicker and easier.

R

Rich

I agree. Get angry with it and show it whos boss!!

Not sure about the heat gun on the vinyl tho... Wouldnt that just melt it and make it smell bad? Havnt tried it myself. :smilewinkgrin:

Reply to vinyl floor? in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

Top Bottom

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.