Discuss Vinyl floor tiles fiasco - what now? in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

B

Brian Gowland

Hi,

First post but I've been reading through related threads here for a while before trying to tackle this job...

Recently bought a house and before we move in I'd like to get the 6" x 6" vinyl floor tiles off the (concrete) kitchen floor. Reading various threads here I've tried...

1. 4" brick bolster and mallet (for tiles which had curled)
2. Wallpaper scraper + hot air gun (for tiles that had lifted or exposed edges

Well the tiles are stuck with bitumen and the above two methods only worked for tiles which were already working loose so with great optimism today I hired a Floor Tile Stripper from HSS.

The long and short of it is, it doesn't like my floor tiles. After 3 hours of adjusting the blade angle to various positions using the rear wheel brackets, regularly cleaning any gunk off the blade, trying sweeping / jabbing motions (you name it) I've hardly cleared more than 1/10th of the floor.

So where to now?

I'm seriously considering just using some self-levelling compound to fill the small patches I've cleared and put vinyl flooring over the top instead of re-tiling.

Alternatively, is it possible to use SLC over the gaps AND the remaining floor tiles in order to lay ceramic floor tiles on top?

Or...? Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers,
Brian (extremely frustrated but mellowing gradually with a cold beer).

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Brian Gowland

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You must be logged in to see the message.

B

Bubblecraft

B

Brian Gowland

Reply to Vinyl floor tiles fiasco - what now? in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

uHeat Official Forum Sponsor for Underfloor Heating (Electric and Wet)
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

New Threads (Sitewide)

Mapei Tile Adhesive - Official forum sponsor
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.