Discuss Vinyl Floor Tiles.... Can You Tile Over Them? in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

Chris_32

Chris_32

TF
Reactions
Hi,

Quick question, is there a product to prime vinyl floor tiles prior to tiling over them and an adhesive that will stick or is it a complete no no to tile over vinyl tiles? They are firmly stuck down so the client would prefer to leave them than take them up but obviously not if this will cause problems in future.

Thanks, Chris.

Paul C.

Paul C.

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reactions
2,826 18
Make sure they are clean and grease free. If there are any loose or blown, they will also need to come up.

Most Singlepart Flexible adhesives can go directly onto vinyl, but it may be worth applying a slurry coat with 1 part adhesive to 1 part SBR primer just to be on the safe side.

The "Belts and Braces" solution however, would be to lift the old tiles and as much old bitumen adhesive as you can, go over with a Latex self levelling compound over the concrete and tile onto that.

Chris_32

Chris_32

TF
Reactions
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It is a concrete/screed floor underneath.

I have had a look into it and Bal SBR will prime over vinyl tiles.

Thanks for the help, I was pretty sure there was a primer that would go over vinyl tiles but just wanted to check as I don't think the client will go for the added expense of latexing that area, which I did mention when i went to look at the job.

Dave

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reactions
2,196 1
Mapei eco-prim grip is the one...

But i would try a heat gun on those tiles and get them up.... But if not , then the above primer is the way to go..

S

StevieBoy

Vinyl tiles will almost always come up, whether it be with a shovel, scraper heat gun or whatever.
I would be too worried to stick any tiles to them, and having problems later. Jmo

O

On one

If the tiles did come up,would getting an adhesive/primer to stick to the vinyl tiles adhesive residue still be a problem

O

Old Mod

Tilemasters new Prime+Grip, the primer Dave mentioned, or slurry coat are all ok over Vinyl or 'black' adhesive.

Chris_32

Chris_32

TF
Reactions
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Went with the eco prim grip. Good stuff.

Reply to Vinyl Floor Tiles.... Can You Tile Over Them? in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Floor Advice - Flooring Forum 0