Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Victorian tile porch/step entrance in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Odin

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello,

I'm about to lay the porch area, it's very small 890mm x 470mm. I have the Victorian tiles and have layed it out and it's the right fit.

Now I'm wondering what to do at the grout stage, most advise sealing first then grouting. Clean and seal again. However because mine are outdoors and it seems important not to seal for frost resistance. What should I do once the tiles are set?

Also the design is with very small gaps in the tiles, is there a grout people would recommend?

Thanks,

Odin

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm about to lay the porch area, it's very small 890mm x 470mm. I have the Victorian tiles and have layed it out and it's the right fit.

Now I'm wondering what to do at the grout stage, most advise sealing first then grouting. Clean and seal again. However because mine are outdoors and it seems important not to seal for frost resistance. What should I do once the tiles are set?

Also the design is with very small gaps in the tiles, is there a grout people would recommend?

Thanks,

Odin
Hey mate

Have just done one of these jobs I go to a very good suppliers called MGA in Chingford that have good knowledge of tiles and if u have descent porcelain or stone there is no point sealing. As to the grout previously when I have done this work I've used an Ardex grout can't remember the specific name but this time I was recommended Grout 3000 in Mid or Natural Grey if u need any other advice or can recommend any other methods or materials let me know.

Lew
Keogh tile

IMG_20200703_125639.jpg

Reaction score
Seal it with a good exterior impregnating sealer as they are guaranteed to stain. After thoroughly dry , grout with a standard cement grey ( I use mappei) Don’t leave it too long before cleaning it off. The smaller spacing allow you to clean it off sooner without disturbing the look of the grout. Clean it at least 3 times. Then recommend the client use a PH neutral tile cleaner which won’t break down your seal, then he can get you back in 2 years to reapply the seal or do it himself. ### my bad old thread

Last edited:

Reply to Victorian tile porch/step entrance in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock