Discuss Varying dimensions on boxes in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls. Had tiles delivered today with what seems to be varying dimensions on the box. Can anyone enlighten me as to how these are interpreted.
PXL_20210210_142004323~2.jpg

Reaction score
I believe I might have sussed it and perhaps someone can confirm. The numbers relate to the calibre, in this case the box is calibre 7 so the tiles are 447x447

Reaction score
They are the different calibers of the tiles when they come out of the kiln
"Caliber" refers to the specific size of the tile. As the tile passes through the kiln during the manufacturing process, it will have all the moisture burned off in the intense heat. When this happens, the tile will shrink between 5% and 10%! The amount of shrinkage during manufacturing depends on the specific tile composition and temperature in the kiln. The factory then separates the tiles into different "Calibers" to ensure the installer has similar sizes provide the best-finished product. It’s important to note that when beginning your project to ensure your tile has the same caliber to avoid potential issues.

You need to make sure that all the boxes you have ordered are the same caliber this should be on the box some where.
The problem arises when buying the tiles from Wickes B&Q etc and they restock and place the new stock onto the old stock with boxes of different calibers
Hope this helps

Reaction score
Yeah there is a second sticker right beside with caliber and Tone/Shade marked on it. All boxes have the same value for both of these.

Reply to Varying dimensions on boxes in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks