Discuss using the right size levelling clips in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi guys ,
I'm new to this forum and I haven't done a lot of tiling so would like to get some advice on choosing the correct size levelling clips ( clip and wedge system ) . I'm doing an external patio on a concrete slab and want to end up with a 3mm grout line for 45cm square porcelain tiles . When I use the 3mm clips and tighten them , the joints seem to pull apart slightly . I've got round this so far by tapping the tiles back together with a block of wood and rubber mallet but this takes extra time and can disturb other joints . Would I be better off using narrower clips in conjunction with regular spacers .
I guess what I'm getting at is would it matter if the clips 1.5 or 2mm are "loose" in the joints if I use 3mm spacers aswell ? ............. Thanks all

Reaction score
Hi guys ,
I'm new to this forum and I haven't done a lot of tiling so would like to get some advice on choosing the correct size levelling clips ( clip and wedge system ) . I'm doing an external patio on a concrete slab and want to end up with a 3mm grout line for 45cm square porcelain tiles . When I use the 3mm clips and tighten them , the joints seem to pull apart slightly . I've got round this so far by tapping the tiles back together with a block of wood and rubber mallet but this takes extra time and can disturb other joints . Would I be better off using narrower clips in conjunction with regular spacers .
I guess what I'm getting at is would it matter if the clips 1.5 or 2mm are "loose" in the joints if I use 3mm spacers aswell ? ............. Thanks all
I would suggest using 2mm clips for the tiles. You also need to use wedges between tiles and walls. Otherwise, the grout joints will be moving. Let me know if you want some advice

Reaction score
Thanks mate , I've given it a go with 1.5mm clips and 3mm and it seems to work better . I have used some of the levelling wedges where I've left off for the day to stop tiles dropping . Yea , hadn't thought about the edges yet , but I'll follow your advice when I start cutting .

Reply to using the right size levelling clips in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks