Discuss Using Lithofin Over Previously Sealed Slate and Marble in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

GeoffH

-
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

We have black slate and white marble floor tiles in our hallway, chequerboard pattern. I wanted to clean them up and re-seal. Cleaned with soapy water then rolled on the Lithofin Stain Stop, and left to dry. It's left a greasy film on all the tiles. When I did the same in our kitchen some time ago, I applied the Lithofin and after a few minutes, wiped off. Dried streaky. Called Lithofin and they said you have to leave it, don't wipe off, which I did this time, but similar disaster.

I'm thinking of cleaning it all off and using a different product. I discovered some Aquamix Seal and Shine Low Sheen in our shed which I'd used at some point, so maybe this instead of the Lithofin? And what do I clean the Lithofin surface film off with?

Many thanks.

Geoff H

D

Dumbo

Just try doing a small area of your floor with stain stop , put it on leave it 5 min and then buff it dry . Leave ing it 5 mins may reactivate the old stain stop and then buff it dry .
It is wrong to let it dry on the surface this will give an incosistent finish but when you wipe it of you have to wipe it dry .
Do this and come back

GeoffH

-
Reaction score
Hi,
I did what you suggested and when I wiped off the stain stop, the cloth came off very dirty, so I guess as you thought, it took off the layer of old stain stop. It left a matt finish.

I then applied Aqua Mix, Seal and Finish Low Sheen, which separated on the surface, so clearly it's water based and the tile still has a greasy layer. After re-applying so it covered evenly, and buffing, it came up glossy, too glossy for us.

So, where do I go from here?

Geoff

D

Dumbo

Hi,
I did what you suggested and when I wiped off the stain stop, the cloth came off very dirty, so I guess as you thought, it took off the layer of old stain stop. It left a matt finish.

I then applied Aqua Mix, Seal and Finish Low Sheen, which separated on the surface, so clearly it's water based and the tile still has a greasy layer. After re-applying so it covered evenly, and buffing, it came up glossy, too glossy for us.

So, where do I go from here?

Geoff
Leave it once it has been washed a couple of times it will be less glossy

Reply to Using Lithofin Over Previously Sealed Slate and Marble in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks