• UK Tiling Forum that lauched to the World. USA and UK Tile Fixers

Welcome to the UK Tiling Forum for UK Tiling Advice, and US Tile Fixers Advice, whether wall tiling or floor tiling advice, by Tilers Forums. The collective tiling advice forum. TilersForums.co.uk now redirects to TilersForums.com.

Discuss Using Blue Grit and Mapei Plaster Primer in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Hello All,

I would just like to start off by saying that I've been in the construction industry for roughly 7 years as a Cladding Site Manager and Facade Engineer, but apologetically, I have zero expertise in Tiling and I am attempting a DIY Re-Tiling job on a very small budget for my Mother-in-law's bathroom.

So, the steps I have taken so far, are as follows:

I have chiseled away and stripped off the old tiles. Unfortunately, the previous Tiles have been dip-dabbed in some areas (where the tiles have come off easily). Other areas, the old dried adhesive remained in notches.

The old adhesive and tiles were extremely stubborn to remove, and even the ones that were easily removed bought a layer skim of plaster with them.

In areas where the skim has come off/that I have removed, I must note that the plaster behind is solid - I believe the brick has been rendered plastered, and only a last layer of skim is coming off.

I have patched cracks and holes with mesh reinforcement and ready plaster. I have sanded down all the walls and there is no old plaster or skim cracking/coming off at the knock of a hammer.

Ultimately, I believe I am left with a solid old layer of Render/Plaster, and solid Skim in some areas - this has created somewhat of an uneven surface (layered) on some areas of the walls.

I have no intention to bring in a plasterer, to skim the walls because it'll be out of budget. I would also like to note that I also do not intend to use tile backer.

My question is:

I have 2 products I intend to use, Mapei Plaster Primer and Blue Grit. Could I Blue Grit the old plaster walls, apply Mapei Plaster Primer above that (not Primer G). Then use Mapei cement based rapid-set adhesive (Mapeker) to Tile.

OR, would I apply the Mapei Plaster Primer first, and then the Blue Grit on top? Then use the tile adhesive.

I would be ever so grateful for any advice, because my wife is now doing my head in for not getting her mothers bathroom sorted - ''You've worked in construction for how long, why do you need to write an essay on a forum'' - After how many years I still cannot explain that not all construction is the same :))

Thank you all ever so much.

Best Regards,

MG

Reply to Using Blue Grit and Mapei Plaster Primer in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer