Discuss Use two size trowels to build up/flatten? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I have a valley in the cement and am not willing to use self-levelling. Only maybe around 1/4" off and it's really only one strip of the floor. Seems like using a 1/4 X 3/8 for everywhere but a 1/2 X 1/2 for that line of tiles wouldn't be a bad idea to even things out. Is that a typical practice or do tilers just build up with extra back buttering?

Thanks!

Reaction score
How wide is this strip and what size tiles are you using ?

Reaction score
Switching to a 1/2 x 1/2 trowel won't make up the difference on its own. If you're dead set against using slc you might try mixing up some adhesive and using a straight edge to fill in the low section with it. I think you'll find it easier to make the floor level with adhesive first and then tile as normal once you've made it flat. Back butter the tiles anyway regardless.

Reaction score
Why are you no willing to self level ? Pour it in and drag a straight edge over to fill the void, then your good to go. It's much more difficult to try and correct a bad surface with the tile adhesive.

From my understanding you need at least an inch of self level compound to work well that raises floor too much would have to deal with door and two transitions to wood.

Reaction score
An inch is a lot. You can literally put a 3mm skim of self levelling down to even out a floor if needed. There is a useful YouTube channel called Mryoucandoityourself where he demonstrates various techniques.

Reaction score
Thanks again. I'm considering it I just don't want to buy extra hardware (screed, level edge) and because there are already cabinets and an island I'd need multiple sizes etc.

Tell me this though... there is still some asphaltic adhesive (think that's what it's called...cutback?) it's been scraped right down and I'm not willing to go further than that. Any point in a primer on top of that? The thinset I have is fortified.

Thx

Reaction score
Is it tile adhesive on the floor currently or was there a different type of floor covering down?

Reaction score
There was vinyl roll and before that asbestos tiles. Scraped down to a paper back then below that black adhesive. Scraped down with blades as much as possible.

Reaction score
If you're tiling onto old residues of unknown glues/adhesives it's probably best to seek a locally stocked levelling compound that's suitable for this application. I think Ardex make one. If you tile straight onto it with adhesive you run the risk of it de-bonding unfortunately.

Reaction score
I used SIKA primer and self leveling compound combination is approved for installation over mostly removed adhesive. Regardless pretty sure I have now ruined my floor... looks worse than it was before the attempt ()%)(%#. There are ripples. I probably did not mix well enough as I was afraid of the short work time. I seemed to have to work it much more than just a pass with a screed like in videos. Partially because this isn't a plain rectangle it's a hallway with a doorway into the kitchen, cabinets and an island in-place. Pretty pissed at myself and not sure now what it's going to take to correct.

D

Dumbo

I used SIKA primer and self leveling compound combination is approved for installation over mostly removed adhesive. Regardless pretty sure I have now ruined my floor... looks worse than it was before the attempt ()%)(%#. There are ripples. I probably did not mix well enough as I was afraid of the short work time. I seemed to have to work it much more than just a pass with a screed like in videos. Partially because this isn't a plain rectangle it's a hallway with a doorway into the kitchen, cabinets and an island in-place. Pretty pissed at myself and not sure now what it's going to take to correct.
I think it's time for a few pictures so we can see what were working with

Reaction score
I think it's time for a few pictures so we can see what were working with

I'll set aside my ego and attach them knowing full well there me be some laughs.

The coarse ares were clearly not properly mixed compound. Shouldn't be too hard for me to grind them down as well as other small places. The overall unevenness and the butchering of edges I think is the bigger problem.

20190629_115505.jpg

20190629_115454.jpg

20190629_115447.jpg

20190629_115442.jpg

20190629_115439.jpg

20190629_115432.jpg

20190629_115429.jpg

20190629_115425.jpg

20170905_233846[1].jpg

20190629_121522.jpg

20190629_121515.jpg

Reply to Use two size trowels to build up/flatten? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks