Discuss Underfloor Heating Cost Implications in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Dramaqueen

Hi, wonder if any wise tilers out there could advise me. We're looking at an extension of approx 40m square and are considering underfloor heating (if we go for tiles). Perhaps someone could answer a few questions for me.

a) Approximately how much would an area this size cost for underfloor heating
b) what is the best type of underfloor heating
c) how much would a room this size cost to heat up, say 4 hours a day?
d) what is the best tile to put down - porcelain, marble etc?
e) how much would an area this size cost for a tiler to tile?

Lots of questions - any advice greatly appreciated:smilewinkgrin:

C

Colour Republic

Ahhh sorry, that's bit like the how long is a peice of string question, you will only get some very rough ideas of cost from the info you posted. It is best to speak to a underfloor heating supplier so you cet it down to the many different choices out there.

You need to answer questions like What is the room to be used for? how many windows? the insulation of the extention? etc etc. Then you can be advised on the system suited to the applicationSome types can be very cheap to run but may cost a lot more to purchase, you then make the saving on running costs over a number of years.

D

Deleted member 9966

In answer to your first two questions, call one of our sponsors - Pete at Uheat. He'll be able to advise you on underfloor heating. He might even be able to answer question 3.

As for tiles, it comes down to customer choice. Most tilers have a preference that they like to work with but a good tiler will be able to talk you through the choices.

We don't discuss prices in the open forum so if you're looking for tilers in your area to quote for the work, we can open a thread for you in our I'm Looking for a Wall or Floor Tiler forum

hth
:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dramaqueen

Thanks for the response guys - i think a little more research is required.

Anyone used trench heating before?

T

TheWrightTiler

hi dramaqueen

without knowing where you are and also is the floor concrete or wooden, there could be a huge difference in price

some more details would help us a little and as prev said contact uheat for specs regarding ufh times and prices

cheers

andy

D

Deleted member 9966

why do you want to use trench heating? you won't be able to cover the grill with tiles. is the room you are looking to tile having full length windows?

C

Colour Republic

Trench heating works differently to under floor heating, it works much the same way as a radiator heats a room via convection.

It is an option to you but is very different to UFH:thumbsup:

pjrich

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi,

I try to answer some of your questions:-

a) Approximately how much would an area this size cost for underfloor heating
Please send us an email [email protected] or call us on 01394 384077, we can price different options.

b) what is the best type of underfloor heating

Take a look at Underfloor Heating | Electric | Floor Insulation | Uheat,

c) how much would a room this size cost to heat up, say 4 hours a day?

This depends on the power rating of the heating, heat loss of your room and amount you pay for electricity units. Could be anything upto £3.00 per day depending on the various parameters.

d) what is the best tile to put down - porcelain, marble etc?

Most tiles work well with ufh, they have very good thermal transfer properties.

e) how much would an area this size cost for a tiler to tile?

Not my area.

Hope the above helps

D

Dramaqueen

thanks guys. I'll get hubby to make the calls to uheat - it's all a bit too much info!!!:mad2:

why do you want to use trench heating? you won't be able to cover the grill with tiles. is the room you are looking to tile having full length windows?

we;re looking at all kinds of heating. We will be having 2 full length windows and an extra large double glass door on the outside wall. I have seen trench heating with tiling around (which is why i mentioned it).

i've also seen electric glass radiators - fab! but will they provide suffient heat and be cost effective

electric storage heaters were also on the list as was gas air heating.....as i said it's all a bit too much!!

i don't know if this helps but ...
We are only in the house from 5:30 on an afternoon - morning. At the moment we only have the heating on from 5:30 - 8pm and 5:45 - 7:00am.

I'm not sure if the cost of underfloor heating is justified for the amount of time we are around - perhaps adding a few extra radiators would do the trick (if the boiler is up to it)

Thanks for all advice so far

Reply to Underfloor Heating Cost Implications in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks