Discuss Under floor heating mat on chipboard floor in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

I

Ian

Hi folks,

Got a job in a couple of weeks where the customer wants under floor heating. Just wanted to know what best practice and materials are for this job ie, ply, then mat, then a flex slc over, then tile with flex adhesive/ grout etc. Substrate is 22mm chip board screwed to joists, tiles are ceramic. Not done this before and just wanted some opinions. Thanks in advance. Brian

G

Gazzer

I would be using a cement backer board if the floor was solid enough. Lay the UFH mat then SLC. SPF adhesive and flexible grout.

I

Ian

I would be using a cement backer board if the floor was solid enough. Lay the UFH mat then SLC. SPF adhesive and flexible grout.

What thickness backer board would you use? is 6mm enough, or 12mm. Always used ply on wooden substrates, is the backer board easy to cut and install etc. I assume it needs pilot holes before screwing, please correct me if i'm wrong!!!

A

aph257

as above but if your concerns are the difference in levels of floors, there are threshold plates that are adjustable to suit.

G

Gazzer

Assuming the floor is free from deflection then 6mm backer board is sutable. Pre drilling is not necessary if you use the correct screws and it cuts easy with a special scriber.

I

Ian

No issues with threshold height, just stability i'm after. All the adhesive manufacturers say 15mm minimum with ply just wondered if there was a minimum for this product. Thanks for the quick responses

D

doug boardley

If floor is deflection free and height is not an issue, I'd be inclined to use 10mm insulation board, then ufh mat, flexi slc then addy and tile. If the tiles are stone or if a large area I'd also use a de-coupler on top of the slc.

Reply to Under floor heating mat on chipboard floor in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks