Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss UFH in extension, expansion gaps? Large format tiles? in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

P

paul kitchen

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello everyone, we are in need of some sound advice on a dilemma we cant get 100% answers to, we are having a single storey extension and knocking out the back wall and dining room wall to form one large open kitchen/living area.
We intend to fit wet UFH to the new part of the extension but we are concerned about possible expansion/contraction between new slab and old slab leading to the failure of 1000mm x 1000mm x 6mm porcelain tiles which will cover the entire floor space including old and new!
We have been advised to use a reinforced screed and use an uncoupling membrane and flexible tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ so the tiles don't crack or lift, do we need to lay an expansion joint between the old and new slabs too as this would ruin the clean effect we are looking to achieve?
Many thanks in advance,

Paul.

OP
P

paul kitchen

Please see the plan for the new extension which at make things clearer!
tilers forum.jpg

OP
P

paul kitchen

Thanks for the swift reply, can you recommend a slim line expansion strip to use?
Am I right in thinking the expansion strip just sits between the tiles and screeds and not the slab?

OP
P

paul kitchen

Thanks again, which uncoupling Matt and https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ would you recommend to use with the porcelain tiles?

OP
F

Flintstone

You do need an expansion joint where the two screeds meet. Try dural microfill, it goes in place of grout and they colour match it to any grout colour. Seamless

OP
P

paul kitchen

Thanks for all the advice guys, what a great forum!
I don't have a tiler lined up yet but mentioned it to my builder who said he would do it if I wanted him to, the extension hasn't started yet but shouldn't be too long off, I wanted to arm myself with some facts at the outset to avoid some costly mistakes later on....
LocalTiler is this a job you would like to quote for, though I see you are quite a distance, Yorkshire?

OP
H

hmtiling

Thanks for all the advice guys, what a great forum!
I don't have a tiler lined up yet but mentioned it to my builder who said he would do it if I wanted him to, the extension hasn't started yet but shouldn't be too long off, I wanted to arm myself with some facts at the outset to avoid some costly mistakes later on....
LocalTiler is this a job you would like to quote for, though I see you are quite a distance, Yorkshire?
No offence to your builder but this is most definitely a job for an experienced tiler. preparation is paramount with tiles of this size, especially when thin porcelain.
There's a section to list the job on here and some very qualified tilers too. Good luck!

Reply to UFH in extension, expansion gaps? Large format tiles? in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock