Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss UFH floor Tiling Problem in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

F

firekill

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all, i have got wet UFH in my newly laid kitchen floor(laid in early August and UFH not commisined yet) and also have a adjoining utility area and pantry which doesnt have UFH ( RADS) which i intend to finish all in the same tile. The utility is a concrete floor with 20mm marmox boards on top to bring it up to same height as kitchen floor . the pantry is also concrete but without marmox . As the tiles are going over differant areas with differant expansion i was thinking of installing a de coupled membrane over the whole floor area including the marmox boards. is this the correct method ? thanks Daz

OP
F

Flintstone

You must commission the underfloor heating before you do anything. I would also do a moisture test to check it is dry. The correct way to deal with the transitions is to have an expansion joint at those points. What are the tiles?

OP
F

firekill

The floor was laid in mid August this year and the UFH manifold is being installed next week . I will follow the correct procedure with the commissioning of the system. I was thinking porcelain tiles around 500mm sq , why the expansion joint method and not just a de coupled membrane. I thought the membrane would be ok and would look much neater than the expansion joint method. Would I need the membrane as well even if I did the joint method ?

OP
H

hmtiling

I'd only w
The floor was laid in mid August this year and the UFH manifold is being installed next week . I will follow the correct procedure with the commissioning of the system. I was thinking porcelain tiles around 500mm sq , why the expansion joint method and not just a de coupled membrane. I thought the membrane would be ok and would look much neater than the expansion joint method. Would I need the membrane as well even if I did the joint method ?
Doesn't have to be a mechanical expansion joint. It could be a clout coded silicone soft joint. The ufh part will move differently to the rest.

OP
F

Flintstone

Uncoupling is advisable on a new heated screed but it doesn't replace the need for expansion joints

OP
F

firekill

Ok thanks guys , I've seen the resin filled expansion joints , not sure what a clout coded soft silicon joint is and how it will look

OP
S

Spare Tool

Its 'colour' coded silicone not 'clout' ..in other words you leave the joints in the doorways ungrouted and fill these joints with silicone that match the grout, can hardly tell if done correctly

OP
F

firekill

If I laid the decoupled membrane as well as having expansion joints would I need to lay membrane in the areas which haven't got UFH , which is :- the utility room which is insulated tile backer boards and pantry which is old concrete floor

OP
F

firekill

Finally started the ufh commissioning and everything going well until I noticed a couple of hairline cracks , i d done the correct thing i.e. Started at minimum for 3 days then increase 4 degrees a day , I'm up to flow temp of 46 degrees ATM , I've read on here to take it to a maximum of 55 degrees then reverse the process . I'm definitely going to put a uncoupled membrane in now with expansion joints . Thinking of marble tiles as tops tiles have them on offer , using flexible addy for both membrane and tiles , any suggestions on the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ , I thought maybe bal rapid flexi in white as they are a light grey tile

OP
H

hmtiling

Finally started the ufh commissioning and everything going well until I noticed a couple of hairline cracks , i d done the correct thing i.e. Started at minimum for 3 days then increase 4 degrees a day , I'm up to flow temp of 46 degrees ATM , I've read on here to take it to a maximum of 55 degrees then reverse the process . I'm definitely going to put a uncoupled membrane in now with expansion joints . Thinking of marble tiles as tops tiles have them on offer , using flexible addy for both membrane and tiles , any suggestions on the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ , I thought maybe bal rapid flexi in white as they are a light grey tile
I'd use a rapid grey for the mat and a semi rapid white for the stone

Reply to UFH floor Tiling Problem in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock