Discuss UFH and herringbone porecelain in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi, I’ve just had an extension added to my kitchen. The new kitchen space will be roughly half and half (total 56m2) with the original half having no UFH and the new half will have a wet system installed. I’ve bought 90cm x 15 cm tiles which I want laying in herringbone style. I’m now concerned about potential cracks appearing in particular down the middle where old floor meets new floor with the UFH. Anyone encountered before, is this a real concern? Any advice much appreciated.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Morning.. You most definitely need an expansion joint at transition of the break in screeds. It will crack all day long as the 2 screeds will expand at different rates thus applying stress to the floor covering (tiles).

Reaction score
Morning.. You most definitely need an expansion joint at transition of the break in screeds. It will crack all day long as the 2 screeds will expand at different rates thus applying stress to the floor covering (tiles).
Thank you, this is what I’m worried about, so there is no way around this? I don’t particularly like the idea of a joint running the length of my kitchen. I read about decoupling membranes but not really sure if this for this purpose?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Thank you, this is what I’m worried about, so there is no way around this? I don’t particularly like the idea of a joint running the length of my kitchen. I read about decoupling membranes but not really sure if this for this purpose?
Imho a decoupling membrane adhered to the floor won’t work ... but Bal do one called
Flexbone and its a loose lay matting , ring Bal technical and ask them if it’s suitable as i personally haven’t used it.

G

GinaMJ

Hello, just seeking some advice much appreciated advice about tiling over a wet ufh system which is being installed in a 31m2 room with a suspended floor. We’ve bought an ufh system which is specifically designed for this kind of retrofit (Nu Heat lo pro max). The ufh will be encased in self-levelling compound so the tiles will essentially be put on top of a hard concrete like layer. Should there a layer between the tiles (they are porcelain 90x15x1cm tiles) and self-levelling compound to help protect the tiles against any movement that might occur? Thank you

Reply to UFH and herringbone porecelain in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Carr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks