Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Type of glass for shower screen? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

M

Morgan Ereku

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi, I'm putting in a wetroom shower screen.

It's going to be 220cm x 90cm

Any advice on
1. Whether the glass needs to be a special type? Can I just get hardened glass from the local merchants or should it be specially treated to help with limescale etc (or is that just a gimmick?)
2. How thick - Is 10mm right, or maybe 12mm?

Planning to use transparent blocks to hold the glass. These were a recommendation from someone.
Transparent Plastic setting and Distance Blocks - https://www.wholesaleglasscompany.co.uk/acatalog/Transparent-Plastic-setting-and-Distance-Blocks.html

Cheers!

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
The glass should be toughend and most off the shelf screens are 8mm, but if I supply bespoke sizes I tend to go for 10mm especially when not using a support arm.

The coating actually works and helps to keep the glass from attracting soap and lime scale, although I suggest customers to use a squeegee after each use.

OP
W

Waluigi

Yes toughened safety glass with an anti calcium coating is what I’ll spec. Again 10mm is preferred. My local glaziers can do any size glass for me.

Not all glass is the same though. The opacity varies and even the rigidity of glass of equal thickness’ can vary. Also when you look at the edge of the glass, the 10mm bit, this can be almost clear.

Reply to Type of glass for shower screen? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock