Discuss Travertine advice!! in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Dumbo

The problem there normally stems from the MC washing the floor/walls down the day before you come in to complete because they have sneaked in other contractors while we are away from site. Its like the wild west out there.
So how does your low water content adhesive help with that .

Reaction score
It wasn't advice for me remember, it was just a preference of mine that I thought would help a enquirer. If the point of the forum is to nit pick I'll go back to my corner. Presumably the enquirer will not have to contend with the MC like we have to.

M83T

TF
Reaction score
So just to clarify because after having read all the stuff about water staining and such I'm now not sure. I plan to use BAL white or green star ready mixed addy (I'm still learning and therefore quite slow and I find ready mixed easier). I will then seal with (what's the best sealer to use please?) Grout then seal again.

H

hmtiling

So just to clarify because after having read all the stuff about water staining and such I'm now not sure. I plan to use BAL white or green star ready mixed addy (I'm still learning and therefore quite slow and I find ready mixed easier). I will then seal with (what's the best sealer to use please?) Grout then seal again.
Any slow set white c2 powder will be fine. You don't need low water content adhesive. Rapid universeal all in one would be my choice as reduces drying times.

D

Dumbo

Green star is rubbish for anything . White star is good but I wouldn't use it for that. I would use a good slow set powdered adhesive . Probably something like kerracoll biogel or isomat ak20 very user friendly if you follow the mixing instructions . As for sealer lithofin mn stainstop if you have time or universeal rapid if you haven't.

M83T

TF
Reaction score
Ok I've used the green star before and I got on ok with it but guess it wouldn't hurt to move on to powder addy. I know the chap I'm doing it for has bought some cheap white powder adhesive from the builders merchant so I'll try and get persuade them to use something else. The kerracoll would be fairly slow setting as I'm not the fastest (yet)?

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my friend has asked me to tile their kitchen walls and having recently done my own kitchen splashback I accepted the offer to gain some more experience.
I've just seen that the tiles they have selected are 200mm X 100mm travertine tiles. I'm now slightly apprehensive about doing this as I have no experience of using travertine, I'm happy with setting out and stuff, but the adhesive, grout and sealing side of things is what's concerning me is it a completely different approach compared to normal ceramic? Any advice on working with travertine would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
We always recommend pre sealing stoneprior to installation. Any silicone or paraffin based system will protect and beautify your stone work. Allows for easier cleaning too. You could use AquaTight Hydraguard which protects, seals, protects natural stone image.

Reply to Travertine advice!! in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Carr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks