Discuss Travertine advice!! in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M83T

TF
Reaction score
Hi everyone, my friend has asked me to tile their kitchen walls and having recently done my own kitchen splashback I accepted the offer to gain some more experience.
I've just seen that the tiles they have selected are 200mm X 100mm travertine tiles. I'm now slightly apprehensive about doing this as I have no experience of using travertine, I'm happy with setting out and stuff, but the adhesive, grout and sealing side of things is what's concerning me is it a completely different approach compared to normal ceramic? Any advice on working with travertine would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

M83T

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies I guess using 6mm notched trowel will be okay? Looking forward to doing it now with the above advice!!

Reaction score
HMT,
Noted, As I said not vital just a preference as I have witnessed travertine allow the moisture of the adhesive passage to the face and bloom under the seal. To me for the extra cost I think its worth it.

D

Dumbo

All I would add to above is to use a low water adhesive, not at all vital but it all helps. Ardex do one I believe.
[/QUOTE
I have traver
HMT,
Noted, As I said not vital just a preference as I have witnessed travertine allow the moisture of the adhesive passage to the face and bloom under the seal. To me for the extra cost I think its worth it.
The reason it would bloom under The seal is that it wasn't left long enough before sealing .

Reaction score
Exactly, with the reduced water staining of S32 it helps in today fast track situations in the contracting sector. Just a preference on my part that I thought might have been worth a note. A lot of the spec sheets I get call for this type of adhesive benefit with all natural stone and even some ultra large Porcs.

H

hmtiling

I did recommend using universeal rapid all in one as it's breathable and can be used on damp stone

D

Dumbo

Exactly, with the reduced water staining of S32 it helps in today fast track situations in the contracting sector. Just a preference on my part that I thought might have been worth a note. A lot of the spec sheets I get call for this type of adhesive benefit with all natural stone and even some ultra large Porcs.
You have probably got a larger risk from the water that is absorbed from grouting and cleaning before and after grouting.

Reaction score
The problem there normally stems from the MC washing the floor/walls down the day before you come in to complete because they have sneaked in other contractors while we are away from site. Its like the wild west out there.

Reply to Travertine advice!! in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks