Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Told by tiler to remove boards in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

dilby

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all -

I've got a wetroom that I've started myself due to no-shows from trades people. The room is to be completely tiled and a sliding-door shower to be used on one side of the room (no tray, just tiles). The walls were rough when I removed the old tiles so I added plasterboard with https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and mechanical fixings wherever needed and bought a tanking kit that I'm about to apply. I didn't use moisture resistant plasterboard of cement board as it was much more expensive and as i was tanking it anyway from what i read online I'd be fine.

But I had a tiler around for quote and he refused to do the job, saying that I should have used hardiebacker cement boards and that if i use plasterboard, even though it will be tanked, the bathroom wont last beyond 2 years. He also said i should not have brought the plasterboard to the floor, even though that is required for a tanking kit as far as i can tell to be able to actually apply the tape.

He has told me I need to rip off all the plasterboard and he can add the cement board. Is this accurate? It's a huge pain and I'm already kicking myself, but i will take them off if I have to, but i don't want to unless it really is the right choice. Or can I just add other precautions such as extra tanking coats?

Picture attached

Many thanks

tanking.JPG

OP
D

dilby

TF
Reaction score
How are you prepping the floor. This has no relevance to the walls but we went to get that right .

To be honest I haven't properly looked into that yet. I'd have thought it was a case of getting it super clean and dust free prior to apply the tanking, but perhaps I should be sealing it first with something?

I'm also open to trimming the boards so they don't make contact with the ground; I have read both that it should make contact for sake of the tanking tape, and that it shouldnt so the water can't wick its way up the board, and to either leave a gap or put some plastic spacers in the gap.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Your tiler is talking rubbish , he has obviously been readimg the internet , where some tilers say plasterboard is not fit for purpose, when in fact it’s possibly the best substrate to tile on .
Tank it , tank the floor, then get another tiler

D

Dumbo

To be honest I haven't properly looked into that yet. I'd have thought it was a case of getting it super clean and dust free prior to apply the tanking, but perhaps I should be sealing it first with something?

I'm also open to trimming the boards so they don't make contact with the ground; I have read both that it should make contact for sake of the tanking tape, and that it shouldnt so the water can't wick its way up the board, and to either leave a gap or put some plastic spacers in the gap.
Is your floor timber or cement screed . Do you have wet tray former to make sure the water flows towards the drain .

F

Flintstone

Your walls appear fine but the floor.. how have you created even falls to the drain ?

Reply to Told by tiler to remove boards in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock