Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss To seal black floor grout or not? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Spud 22

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello all, I have recently laid ceramic tiles in my hall, bathroom and kitchen(all the same tile) I have used Mapei black grout.
I have never sealed grout before but because it's black grout I was considering sealing it because of fading?
Any recommendations please?

Tile Fix Direct

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
Does the grout fade, or does dirt and limescale sit on the surface and make it look like it has faded? Dirt and contamination on dark grouts (not in them) will always appear lighter and could give the effect of fading. If this is the cause of 'fading' then sealing is not the issue but cleaning.

J

J Sid

as above, it's normally a bad cleaning techniques that makes grout change colour after install.

W

Waluigi

Would sealing the grout in the first place not help to aid cleaning?

I offer sealing on all floors these days, in particular the whites, blacks and jasmine.

Tile Fix Direct

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
You would have thought sealing grout would help cleaning, but it might have unintended consequences. Depending on the sealer it may prevent the grout 'breathing' which could result in salts/moisture building up behind the sealer and discolouring the grout. Different grouts/sealers and substrates could all have different effects. Best contact the grout manufacturer.

S

Spare Tool

Agreed, a customer of mine absolutely ruined there grout in the space of a couple of months using a steam mop on the floor..

W

Waluigi

Also depends on the grout texture. A smooth grout sealed will stay far cleaner than a sandy grout sealed in my experience.

I

Italy

Hello all, I have recently laid ceramic tiles in my hall, bathroom and kitchen(all the same tile) I have used Mapei black grout.
I have never sealed grout before but because it's black grout I was considering sealing it because of fading?
Any recommendations please?
if it is ultracolor plus black, it does not need anything.

OP
S

Spud 22

TF
Reaction score
Does the grout fade, or does dirt and limescale sit on the surface and make it look like it has faded? Dirt and contamination on dark grouts (not in them) will always appear lighter and could give the effect of fading. If this is the cause of 'fading' then sealing is not the issue but cleaning.
Hi.its only been down a few days and looks fine now. I just want it staying that way.just wanted to know if sealing grout was common practice?

Reply to To seal black floor grout or not? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock