Discuss Tips for setting out in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all, not posted for a while

I’ve been going over threads for setting out getting ideas.

but i want to know, what tips you guys have on setting out and any tools you use?

i personally use a tile tracker and find its a massive help for starting off.

i know some tilers start from the bath and some from the floor.

what is your preference?

O

Old Mod

I’ll make a decision on the height of my floor cut, and then set either a datum or laser at that height and tile to it first.

D

Dumbo

You cant go of the floor or of the bath and that's it ,you have to look at how your setting out point affects cuts so if you are doing walls you have to take into consideration the floor, bath, window sill, shower tray , window head , top of the door , ceiling and any fitted furniture you may have , niches and today I also have a recessed seat in the shower .

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
This is the part of the job you can't rush. I use a laser level, a pen/pencil a length of batten with the height of the tile plus the spacer marked on it. Just to add to jcrtilings' list above......the ceiling and the floor can run out by many mm's so beware! The niche can be made slightly smaller by use of backerboard. The same goes for window sills. Baths and shower trays these days have bows in them so just be careful if you think a full tile is the way to go!

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If you have to compromise a setting out line as it doesn't work out nice on every obstacle, where do you guys do that? For me i'd say the top of the door into the bathroom is the least critical point in general.

Reaction score
I always initially mark out from centres and see what that looks like. After marking the walls and floor and taking into account the bath, shower, window sills etc. Like Acaciaguy says, it can take an hour just getting it right.
Man, if a customer walked into a bathroom or kitchen that i was marking out they would wonder what all the scribbling on their walls and floor were, and coupled with the pencil sharpenings on the floor they would probably wonder wtf!! lol

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I always initially mark out from centres and see what that looks like. After marking the walls and floor and taking into account the bath, shower, window sills etc. Like Acaciaguy says, it can take an hour just getting it right.
Man, if a customer walked into a bathroom or kitchen that i was marking out they would wonder what all the scribbling on their walls and floor were, and coupled with the pencil sharpenings on the floor they would probably wonder wtf!! lol

my walls look like they have been assaulted by a box of sharpies 😀

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would have thought set out was easy with your monster tiles @3_fall.

O

Old Mod

I would have thought set out was easy with your monster tiles @3_fall.

I wish Neil, typically clients will NOT buy spare material.
And to make it even easier, they start one side of a door frame and do one continual measurement to the other side of the door frame and divide by 1.2 or 1.6. And think nothing of material for niches, window reveals blah blah.
Last bathroom I did had 400mm sill and reveals and they wanted it in one piece with no joint and window was 1m x 1m that’s a lot of extra material.
[automerge]1579804838[/automerge]
He knows nothing about setting each tile he fits hits the ceiling and the floor and both adjacent walls

In the immortal words of Bart Simpson!

BITE ME 😊

Reply to Tips for setting out in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks