Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Timber frame Patio tiling question in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

D

Deleted member 52730

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all.
I have a raised timber framed (bearers & joist & 450mm spacing ) patio with timber decking. We want to replace decking with tiles.
1st question. So compressed sheeting, water proof then tile. Will that work?
2nd question. to get that slope for any water run off, how can it be done without a cement bed? I’ve got 35mm from the underside of the bi-fold door frame to the top of the joist. So 10mm tiles, glue and 15mm compressed sheets. Can it be done and how?
It’s a covered patio that sits on brick piers a meter high of the he ground. To drop the framework is a big job
TIA

OP
D

Dumbo

I think you will struggle with 35 mm and I don't know what compressed board is but you could put furrings on your joists to great the fall you require

OP
D

Deleted member 52730

I think you will struggle with 35 mm and I don't know what compressed board is but you could put furrings on your joists to great the fall you require

Compressed boards is compressed cement sheets. Vary from 15-20mm

OP
D

Dumbo

Speak to the manufacturer as regards spacing of joists and thickness of boards , but as above to create fall

OP
T

Tile Shop

Don't know if its the same over there as it is here, but in the UK, it's not recommended to tile anything that is supported by a timber frame or contains timber in its construction externally, due to the usual issues of warping, swelling and shrinkage with the changing moisture and temperature conditions. Everything above usually goes pop.

You can go with all the construction boards, decoupling mats, adhesives to give it your best shot and you might be lucky, but if it fails there will be no guarantees from the manufacturers unless you can nail one down to put it in writing, or better still spec it for you and give you a full method to work from.

OP
D

Deleted member 52730

You can go with all the construction boards,

Fibre cement sheeting (similar to construction boards but these are somewhat water resistant to some extent)is used here in wet areas in bathrooms then they usually use a cement base to get the slope then tile. In my case due to the limited height I have to play with, I want to use these boards, then https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ then tiles but don’t know how to get that slope. My joists are at 450mm apart. Floor framing is quite solid which sits on 1meter high brick piers.
Hope that makes sense

Reply to Timber frame Patio tiling question in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock