Discuss Tiling with mosaics in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

KingTy

-
Reaction score
Hello

Although I have tiled before, I've never tiled with mosaics and was wondering if I could be given some advice (and any tips)?

I have some Hammered Pearl glass mosaic tiles that I want to cut and use as a horizontal border for my downstairs toilet. They are to compliment plain bumpy white tiles.

What is the process when tiling a room with ceramic tiles with a mosaic border? Do I just tile from the bottom (or rather the lowest full tile supported by battens) and then when I get to where I want my border to appear just continue with the mosaic sheet?

Or do I work out where I want the border, mark that measurement all around the room, tile up to and above it and add the mosaic tiles last (and hope to god that I've measured properly and that they fit the gap)? If I do this, when I'm calculating the space I need to leave do I have to include the measurements for spacers at the top and bottom?

Do I need to use different adhesive for small mosaic tiles?

The mosaic tiles are slightly deeper than the ceramic tiles (just by about 1mm I think). Is this a problem? Will having a different sized notched trowel compensate?

Thank you.

T

Time's Ran Out

Tile from the bottom, leave a gap the size of your mosaic border and put the top tile on. Use the dog tooth method to screed the mosaic gap and press home the mosaic.
Jobs a good un!

Reply to Tiling with mosaics in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks