Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling Tools Starter Kit in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Just wondered if you lot fancied helping make a tiling tools starter kit, perhaps a full set of tools that a only a tiler would carry. I know this has been done before on other forums but I could do with a copy for us on here too, and a fresh would would be great.

I think if we keep this to a tile tools only list for the moment so any plumbing tools, no matter how big or small could stay out of it for the moment. We'll make a seperate one in the future maybe.

tile Tools Starter Kit
  • 100% coverage floor tile trowel (thick bed solid bed, maybe a large square notch or similar)
  • Large format floor tile trowel, approx 18", usually.
  • 100% coverage wall tile trowel (thin-bed solid-bed, maybe a square notch for some)
  • 80% coverage wall tile trowel (max 80%, most have slightly less but you have to keep to wall tile regs for dry areas, maybe a 6mm round notch trowel, maybe a square notch)
Lots of room there for more tools :)

If you copy and paste the above in to your post below and add anything you wish, then we'll confirm it all at the end and i'll update the original post. This will help all new tilers and even maybe remind existing established ones.

ADDITION TO THE POST - 20/11/2007 - JUST ADDING THE REST OF THE TOOLS.
1. u-notched trowel for floors
2. v-notched trowel for small wall tiles
3. 6mm sq.notched trowel
4. 8mm sq. notched trowel
5. 10mm sq. notched trowel
6. 13mm sq. notched trowel
7. margin trowel
8. grout float
9. sponges
10. buckets
11. decent wet saw(Rubi or similar)
12. Rubi ts-50 plus tile cutter(or similar)
13. mixing paddle
14. dust sheets
15. stair dust sheets
16. slow mixer(corded drill) for powder https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/
17. Diamond core drill set 6mm 8mm 16mm 30mm 40mm for all tiles www.365drills.com
18. Rubi tile nippers(or similar)
19. Eye protection - for those cheeky lilttle splinetrs that always land in your eye from the wet cutter
20. Metal snips - for trimming and cutting the beads
21. Small hand saw and mitre block (with a 'c' clamp if fitting to a work bench)
22. Tile File
23. Assorted screwdrivers for plug sockets / random screws in walls
24. Stanley Blade - for sharpening your pencil!! and a million other things....
25. Wash Boy and Sponge
26. Hosepipe
27. Extension Cable
28. Bucket Trowel - for scraping out the last bit of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/
29. A couple of spirit levels
30. A couple of wooden batons and assorted screws
31. A decent tape measure.
32. A sweat rag stuffed in the same pocket as your sense of humour.....
33. Profile gauge?? - paper pencil scissors.

34. white pencil (for slate/effect)

35. knee pads (one that fit into trouser pockets are good)

36. cordless drill, assorted masonary bits, wall plugs.

37. ****RADIO****
38. no 1 on list kettle
39. Dustpan and brush
40. transport
41. combi vac,
42. rubber gloves (black grout)
43. towels.
44. a decent stud detector

45. and ere, a selection of spacers come in handy.
46. cheap camera or phone for pics for ya portfolio
47. A couple of levels.... and maybe a couple of edges too.

Last edited:
D

Derry

its an impressive list but how much do you reckon one should put asside for purchase of tools?
I'll be starting up on my own next year so purchasing all my tools from scratch but to be honest on reading that I could need anything from £250 - £2,500....

how much do you reckon a starter would need to spend so that all of the essentials are covered and a little bit more?

just trying to work out my budget thats all!

Patrick

O

Olz

Buy as you go IMO mate, no point in humping a van full of stuff about that's never seenlight of day, get the basic's you need then buy other stuff as the job dictates, no point in buying a drill and a set of diamond bits if your first lot of jobs have no holes to drill if you get my drift.

W

White Room

Buy as you go IMO mate, no point in humping a van full of stuff about that's never seenlight of day, get the basic's you need then buy other stuff as the job dictates, no point in buying a drill and a set of diamond bits if your first lot of jobs have no holes to drill if you get my drift.

Sooooooooooo right, My problem is that if I have,nt got the tools in the van I think I,ll end up needing them.:thumbsup:

C

cornish_crofter

I use those silicone sealant profiles, as I can't seem to get the hang with my finger.

IIRC there was a kit that you could get in Focus and the like that had some ptfe coated profiles in plus a special sealant knife - I think JML did it. I bought it for a tenner and it has been absolutely brilliant. The knife is specially designed for cutting out old seals between baths/showers and tiles - it has a V shaped blade.

I have been using the profiles ever since.

I also keep a supply of new silicone nozzels. I accumulate them if I use 2 or 3 tubes of the stuff in quick succession and don't need to cut new nozzels I just change the existing nozzel onto the new tube.

Also, don't forget the sealant gun. :thumbsup:

I have a cheap rotating laser level. I suspect I'll be using it for a job I've got coming up next week. All 4 walls are to be tiled and I want to use it to get a horizontal datum. You don't have to spend a fortune on one of these. All you do is level it up to a known height, say the height of the bath, drawing a line from the bath with a normal level will help. Then mark where the light hits other parts of the walls and recheck them with a normal level.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cornish_crofter

Thanks. I'd keep a pipe/cable detector in the van. Also a basic first aid kit (O.K. I'm a bit off track with this one).

I do plumbing as well so I've got the necessary to fix any leaks that may appear ;)

L

LJB Tiling

Not a tool for tile but on my shopping list of things needed im having to buy a satnav to find where customers live.

Anybody got any idea's of a good 1 to get?

Reply to Tiling Tools Starter Kit in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock