Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling Timber Floors - Preferred Method? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

B

billthetiler

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all,
I do a lot of my work for a bathroom fitting company and the fitters constantly discuss the best method for dealing with wooden floors. I was brought up on 9mm WBP screwed every 100mm and primed, but I am now leaning towards anti crack matting. Others use Kudos Aqua4ma or Hardibacker. Any preferences guys? I am open to suggestions!

Dhtiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Ditra, strata mat, spiderweb2, permat, anything is nicer than carrying boards up the stairs. Nothing wrong with hardi though.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Cement boards or insulation boards and I use bal single part fast flex https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ on all wooden substrates .

OP
B

billthetiler

Thanks lads, I was in the ply camp just like Protiler 68 without incident for 30 years but we had a couple of loose tile situations last summer on 2 separate jobs, different fitters and different tiles so that's what made us look around for alternatives. I may try hardie. Can you bring floors back to level by varying bed thickness? Do I need to prime substrate or Hardie?

OP
P

p4ulo

Hardie for me too.
No need to prime your subfloor (wood) as you will be laying some tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ down under the boards before you screw them down. Yes, you can vary bed thicknesses to help levelling, but be careful when screwing it down because you don't want the boards to warp to the shape of the dips!
I've started sponging off and priming Hardie once fitted as advised by other users on here, no problems so far!

OP
H

hmtiling

No more ply for me. Never had a problem with it and done 1000's m2 with it.
Also, like marmox with ufh.

OP
S

SJPurdy

Personally I prefer Hardie to "no more ply" as I feel it is better if there is cupping on timber floor boards (the bumps and hollows of the cupping get filled with cement based addy when fixing to give a solid bed). However if under tile heating then Wedi, Marmox etc give better heating performance; they're also much lighter and easier to cut, but more expensive!

OP
S

Spud

I used blanke permat recently and like it ,it is similar to the old eml mesh but a 21st century version

OP
I

Ian

So it did used to work then lol ?
Still does work, so long as it's 15mm or thicker but, why would you when there's thinner products that do a better job. Get yourself out of the stone age and move with the times. You're making yourself look very stupid by continually arguing the toss and going against everything the manufacturers recommend, if you end up having to defend a failed floor in court one day, you'll get laughed at when an industry professional looks at it and sees the 6mm ply base.

Reply to Tiling Timber Floors - Preferred Method? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock