Discuss tiling straight onto blocks in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

Alan M

hi all
im preping a bathroom today.
iv removed a lot of loose skim from the walls (all of it really ) one wall has areas of well stuck skim and areas without skim. also there is a fair bit of the plaster coming off while im taking off the solid skim (to make it all even)
iv got a good kango so removing all the plaster isnt a problem
would it be ok to strip it back to the blocks. and tile straight onto that ( hoping its straight etc enough).

thanks alan

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If they are breeze blocks and you prime them then it is possible but personally I'd always prefer to re board it

A

Alan M

4" concrete blocks. im trying to leave it there. but its a lot of hand chiseling and i still have to fix the bits missing, that kango is calling me every time i stop for a break . id have the whole lot off in an hour insead of 3-4 chiseling and plus fixing it and waiting for that to dry

B

bugs183

You really should board it, you'll save a huge amount of time, swearing and adhesive if you don't.

B

Bubblecraft

I'd personally re-board. Tiling straight on to block is possible but slightest movement in the wall will cause your grout line to crack, or worse, your tiles, even if you use a GT1 or any other latex additive. At least re-boarding you know your tiling onto a sound surface with minimum amount of problems & not that expensive to do. Would be cheaper in the long run to re-board.
The other option would be to plaster it if that works in your favour. A good bonding coat, then finish & you can tile straight on to that. Just mind & prime it.
Both options have there pro's & cons but still a safer option than tiling straight on to block. You'll be called back in no time

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Monique

We are looking at getting front of house bay window area tiled, we have got this area back to breeze block. And I can see you all advising you board it up before tiling, What would you recommend we re board it with?

Reply to tiling straight onto blocks in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks