Discuss Tiling rate advice Please in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

Conflax

Hi,

Could someone advice on a quote please?

I’m being quoted £200 a day for max 5 days to tile a bathroom, floor to ceiling plus the floor itself.

It’s 2.5x2m incl a window. The room is already stripped and skimmed and the walls are prepped, but the floor needs a bit of levelling. The tiles are porcelain and he’ll need to cut round a curved shower tray plus drill about 10 holes in the porcelain for pipes. There’s also an alcove and windowsill that need beading round.

Is this a decent rate for south of England (outside London)???

Also it doesn’t include any materials, and workmanship wise he seems decent based on previous and is talking about measuring up so floor grout line matches wall grout line etc so seems to take it seriously.

Thanks

M

Matthew77

Sounds decent and about right to me, depends where you are I guess, and the quality of the work. Without seeing the job or the tiles it’s hard to say what’s involved. Bathrooms can be fiddly with lots of cutting around windows, alcoves, rounded shower trays, also if it’s not on a building site there might not be room to set up a wet cutter inside etc so many factors involved along with quality of workmanship, someone who cares about the work they are doing will probably take longer and do a nicer job than someone smashing it out to get paid. It would seem most customers would rather pay a bit more and be happy with their tiling than take a chance on a tiler and save a few quid.
If you’ve seen the Tiler’s work and it’s good then are you happy with the price quoted?

T

Time's Ran Out

Why would any one accept an open ended quote - up to 5days or what happens if it takes longer?
Why didn’t he just give a price of £995.00 for the job!
If he’s done in 3days - £600 - for a full bathroom doubt many would be interested.
Hope you’ve seen his work.

C

Conflax

Hi - thanks for the comments. To be honest, I don’t have a frame of reference for a iling price so didn’t know what to expect. I wasn’t shocked at £200 per day but 5 days sounds a lot. He says his last one was £1200, 6 days, for 3mx3m but only half way up

M

Matthew77

I think he’s quoting for up to 5 days John as in if it takes longer than 5 days then there’s no extra charge.
I sometimes quote for things like this for stuff that I’m not sure about or is hard to quote for like quoting without knowing what sort of tiles, quoting off plans and removal of tiles. For example I might quote for up to 2 days work for tile removal and making good, if the tiles come off easily in a few hours the customer only gets charged for a few hours work but it also gives them an idea that if the tiles are well stuck and walls are damaged in the removal it might take a full 2 days etc...tbh though I just do that sort of thing on day work now as you have no idea what’s behind the tiles!

C

Conflax

Hi - it’s not capped at 5 days so if it took six would be £1200. From all the comments here I have at least got to cap it off at a total, but also have called a recommendation and got an £800 flat rate based on psqm!
Thanks for taking time to comment

M

Matthew77

Hi - thanks for the comments. To be honest, I don’t have a frame of reference for a iling price so didn’t know what to expect. I wasn’t shocked at £200 per day but 5 days sounds a lot. He says his last one was £1200, 6 days, for 3mx3m but only half way up
I’d be looking at around 5 days for that. Once the self leveller goes down you obviously can’t walk on the floor. Plus I normally grout the day after the Tiling is finished, then come back the following day for an hour once all dried to silicone.

M

Matthew77

Hi - it’s not capped at 5 days so if it took six would be £1200. From all the comments here I have at least got to cap it off at a total, but also have called a recommendation and got an £800 flat rate based on psqm!

Oh ok my mistake, so what’s the max 5 days mean I’m not understanding that?

C

Conflax

Sorry I’m being misleading - he just reckoned it would take a max of 5 days..... but then told me the last one was 6. I’d have assumed given the room is prepped so no surprises, it would be fairly on estimate.

M

Matthew77

Well if he’s seen the room as it’s ready and knows what tiles then it should be a straight quote I think.
My quotes would only be open/estimates if the customer doesn’t know what tiles they are having at time of quote or when it’s off plan, then I’d quote for the Tiling and then adjust according to tile/Stone and estimate for prep work.

T

Time's Ran Out

So 7 days would be ...
And 8 days would be...
You can tile on self leveller in 30 minutes now!
Look at a job - give a fixed price - do it!
If you want a job done - get a fixed price - check their work - accept a fixed price - pay on day completed and customer satisfaction.
45 years and I’ve never quoted so much a day so it can be strung out!!

O

One Day

Sounds like a reasonable price to me, but as always - get a few prices and compare. John Ruskin quote:
“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When
you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay
too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you
bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The
common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a
lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well
to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will
have enough to pay for something better.”

S

Spare Tool

So 7 days would be ...
And 8 days would be...
You can tile on self leveller in 30 minutes now!
Look at a job - give a fixed price - do it!
If you want a job done - get a fixed price - check their work - accept a fixed price - pay on day completed and customer satisfaction.
45 years and I’ve never quoted so much a day so it can be strung out!!
Gonna have to agree to disagree with you on this one John, nearly all my work is done on a best and worst day rate guesstimate, never had the time to be stringing a job out to squeeze a few more quid out of it though, but I like not having the pressure of having to fix Xsqm a day or rushing with the prep, oh and you know those can of worms jobs ;)

Reply to Tiling rate advice Please in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks