Discuss Tiling path and step in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

Bob2

Hi all.

I have a job that I'm unsure of how to approach, and I have 2 queries.

I need to lay 10mm porcelain tiles onto a newly poured concrete path. Path has been down for approximately 8 weeks. I am going to use Keraflex S1 Maxi as the adhesive.

1. Can I fix the tiles directly to the path or do I need to use an uncoupling membrane first? If so..which is the best membrane to use outside?

Also, the poured concrete path runs continuously into the house and forms a new step. I will be laying 20mm porcelain slab as the doorstep and a new composite door will sit on top of this. I am then tiling the indoor part of the path/step again in 10mm porcelain tiles.

2. Can I use a floor insulation board such as prowarm on the inside to raise the level to the door and also provide a minimal level of insulation? And would I again need to use an uncoupling membrane under the board?

I have attached photos of the path to be tiled. Where the door sits now is where the new door will also sit on the edge of the 20mm slab.

I would appreciate your advice as am unsure of the best approach.

Cheers, Richie

20201011_074021.jpg

20201011_074037.jpg

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Given the size of the areas to be tiled , you could tile direct to the concrete slab with flexible adhesive , although belt and braces approach would be to use an uncoupling mat such as Ditra 25, or Dural Cl++. Good shout with the insulated tile backer board internally as you have a potential cold bridge situation at the threshold, flexi addy again direct to board will suffice.

B

Bob2

Given the size of the areas to be tiled , you could tile direct to the concrete slab with flexible adhesive , although belt and braces approach would be to use an uncoupling mat such as Ditra 25, or Dural Cl++. Good shout with the insulated tile backer board internally as you have a potential cold bridge situation at the threshold, flexi addy again direct to board will suffice.

Thanks Bond. The path outside measures 2.8m x 0.9m wide...do you think this would be fine without the matting then? I have put mesh and fibres in the concrete to help prevent cracking. Was hoping to just prime the concrete with Mapei Primer G then tile onto that?

Reply to Tiling path and step in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks