Discuss Tiling over wooden floor and leveling in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

borr22

-
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Im tiling my kitchen and lounge, the lounge is 5m x 5m and is a wooden floor with a RSJ support in the middle and the kitchen is 3.8m x 2.7m but is a concrete floor. (Pictures below)

The joists in the lounge have been reinforced by sistering the joists and installing noggins.

The kitchen is 25mm higher than the lounge with 22mm P5 T&G particleboard installed.

I want to tile the whole lounge and kitchen with 600mm x 600mm porcelain tiles.

The water-resitant particle board hasnt been installed yet, it has just been laid down for the plasterer so it can be changed if needed.

My plan was to:
Install the particle board
Use a cement board backer board on top
Use self leveling compound with a wire mesh to bring the lounge to the height of the kitchen
Install a ditra membrane for both the kitchen and lounge.
Use a flexible tile adhesive
Then tile

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should change or how they would do it differently?
Any help would be much appretiated!

Many thanks,
Ben
lounge 1.jpg
lounge.jpg

D

Dumbo

Install your p5 and the 6mm Hardie backer
In lounge fix an insulation board to build up height but keeping the weight down .I would think 30mm thick.
Understand 30mm of levelling weighs 51kgs a square metre .
Then level to take out height differential between rooms .
Make sure you have a movement or soft joint between the two rooms

borr22

-
Reaction score
Install your p5 and the 6mm Hardie backer
In lounge fix an insulation board to build up height but keeping the weight down .I would think 30mm thick.
Understand 30mm of levelling weighs 51kgs a square metre .
Then level to take out height differential between rooms .
Make sure you have a movement or soft joint between the two rooms
Didn't think of the soft joint between the two rooms, good idea!
It's nice to know i'm on the right track then. Thanks JCR

Reply to Tiling over wooden floor and leveling in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
alangk85
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks