Discuss Tiling over Vinyl floor tiles in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

B

burncross

doing a job where the whole concrete floor has vinyl tiles stuck down with what looks like bitumen, all are very well stuck down, been there for years and years.
Is it ok to tile directly over these??

B

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reactions
141 9
hi there yes you can go over them but first make sure you de -grease them first ,seal with a good bonding agent and let it dry out first,rgds

B

burncross

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
cheers brian, that's what i was thinking

S

SandyFloor

I wouldn't feel comfortable tiling over them either.

D

DHTiling

Have you tried to remove them or do they just look to be stuck ok..?

B

burncross

yes i'v removed a couple just to see how well stuck they are........ and they are stuck like **** to a blanket!

C

CCTiling

TF
Reactions
I would never tile over anything apart from the original substrate :thumbsup:

S

SandyFloor

I would never tile over anything apart from the original substrate :thumbsup:
There's actually an arguement here in that no matter how well you strip off the old tiles you will be unlikely to get down to bare concrete so what is the difference? I'm playing devil's advocate here so I'm keen to hear other's views.

B

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reactions
141 9
i cant tell you the amount of vinyl tiled floors that i have gone over with no problems whatsoever,if they are stuck like that the best way that i know is to get a blowtorch and warm them up first berore getting a scraper under them,thats how they used to fix them years ago,by warming them up first.IMO a waste of time and customers money if no need for them to come up in the first place.

Reply to Tiling over Vinyl floor tiles in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

New Threads (Sitewide)

Top Bottom

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.