Discuss Tiling over quarry tiles. in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Tay100

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a 1940's semi and i have been redecorating my front room, no its my own stupid fault for not checking what was under the carpet before starting ! After doing the decorating i lifted the carpet to find a quarry tile floor and now im stumped as to what to put over the top.
The thing is i dont want to lay carpet over the top again as the room is going to be used as a hobby room / workshop so i need something that is easy to clean and can be mopped. Originally when i took the carpet up i intended to just clean up the quarry tiles and keep them as the floor however they are nt the best laid, there is an area of damage that has been repaired with cement and around the edge of the floor there has been an adhesive applied that is proving difficult to remove.
Now i understand that there is unlikely to be any DPM under the tiles however there was no sign of damp under the carpet / underlay, in fact the tiles had been left covered in plaster and the plaster was bone dry. I know from previous posts that best practice is to dig up the tiles and fit a DPM and new screed but i really wat to avoid this.
So the way i see it my options are interlocking plastic garage tiles, i have used these before in another workshop but i am concerned these may sweat against the original tiles. Screed over the original tiles and fit a loose lay vinyl like Altro Xpresslay that is designed to wick any moisture away into the building fabric.
The final and my preferred option is to tile over the quarry tiles but i have read so many conflicting ways on how to do this and even whether it is or isnt a good idea that it is giving me a headache !
I have attached a couple of pictures of the floor so people can get an idea of its condition, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20220330_091046.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220330_091106.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 10

Reply to Tiling over quarry tiles. in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks