Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss tiling over paint (yet again) in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Have read many forums reguarding this and need to know what to do. Basically it is a small downstairs toilet that I need to tile. At the moment there is some kind of gloss paint that has been there since we moved in (about 2 months ago) and under that im guessing artex as it is all textured with a very crud pattern. What would i use to get the paint off? I have read that sanding it is the solution but part of the wall (where the old toilet cycstern used to be) is just cement with paint over it and sanding that might be a bit of a problem. Also the artex (judging from the rest of the house) is quite old and might contain asbestos so I dont really want to start sanding away at it all. Is there any other method of getting rid of the paint? Could i just line the walls with something and then tile onto that? (cant be plasterboard as with that and the tile on top i wouldnt be able to open the door into the room anymore. Any advice is very welcome.

OP
G

goatboy

so doesnt matter if there are a few bits then... there's loads atm.. possibly why the original plaster was so loose

OP
G

goatboy

the other thing is the original plaster coat is really thin.. just looks like a finishing coat and nothing behind it.. the thickest point is about 5mm going down to around 1mm

OP
G

goatboy

sorry my cam is packed away... it definatly is just one coat as im not sure you could put 2 coats on in 1mm lol :dizzy2:

OP
G

goatboy

it is standard brick work with about 3 layers of paint on the bricks have lime mortar inbetween but this too is painted

OP
W

White Room

Has your plasterer seen the job yet, if not may be worth getting a price and see what he says then comeback and let us know what he said and we can go from there

OP
G

goatboy

someone is quoting me for the job on my hammer but seems a little unaware of things and is comming up to stoke from birmingham to do it and qill give me the quote tomorrow without having seen the job.. all seems a little odd to me but aparantly what he quotes on there for the job is binding and the dude already has positive reviews from other people that have used him

OP
W

White Room

You can't quote blind thats not way to do it

How far is Birmingham to stoke

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
G

goatboy

that is the problem with these quote online sites but he is bound to the quote he gives once he has done it and ive accepted it online

Reply to tiling over paint (yet again) in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock