Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss tiling over paint (yet again) in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Have read many forums reguarding this and need to know what to do. Basically it is a small downstairs toilet that I need to tile. At the moment there is some kind of gloss paint that has been there since we moved in (about 2 months ago) and under that im guessing artex as it is all textured with a very crud pattern. What would i use to get the paint off? I have read that sanding it is the solution but part of the wall (where the old toilet cycstern used to be) is just cement with paint over it and sanding that might be a bit of a problem. Also the artex (judging from the rest of the house) is quite old and might contain asbestos so I dont really want to start sanding away at it all. Is there any other method of getting rid of the paint? Could i just line the walls with something and then tile onto that? (cant be plasterboard as with that and the tile on top i wouldnt be able to open the door into the room anymore. Any advice is very welcome.

OP
W

White Room

better so plaster would be the best option then... but would it take more than one day for the browning coat to dry and then the finishing coat put over it?

The finsh should be put on the same day the undercoat is applied

what https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ should i use on a cement render?

Render is a different material to plaster (gypsum)

I would use a powdered https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ but prime the gypsum plaster first with mapei g or bal apd acrylic primer

OP
G

goatboy

and why is PVA bad when acrylic primer is ok? that bit confuses me because acrylic primer has the same effect when it is dampened to PVA

OP
G

goatboy

p.s. sorry for all the dumb *** questions but i want to get this right in my head before i talk to the guy doing the 'plastering' for want of a better word

OP
G

goatboy

fair doos so reading that if it was a cement render on the wall then i could tile directly without priming it because there wouldnt be a problem with the gypsom/ tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ reaction??

OP
G

goatboy

cool just hope this dude can render the walls in cement and get it flat enough for me to tile onto... does that PVA advice apply when rendering the wall in the first place I wonder??

OP
W

White Room

If the walls are cleaned of well when the existing finish is taken off, it should need to be dampened with water for the new render

OP
G

goatboy

so all the original paint on the bricks needs to be gotten rid of before it can be rendered then (sorry to go off the tile topic a little)

Reply to tiling over paint (yet again) in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock