Discuss tiling over paint (yet again) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

goatboy

meh just wish it wasnt so hard to get someone decent out... I dont mind paying if I know it is going to be a good job but like i said round where I live there are a lot of people who cut corners :(

G

goatboy

hang on just though... what is to top me from just tiling over the brickwork? it is mostly flat or is that another no no?

W

White Room

Brickwork may not be as flat as it looks, the damp plasterboard would have me looking for any further problem areas.

G

goatboy

like i said the brickwork is dry... the plasterboard had seemed to have gotten wet from the surface of the plaster... gona carry on chipping away at the plaster tomorrow... might just get some brick acid and clean up the bricks and leave it at that :p

G

goatboy

lol dont even think ive unpacked the cam yet but if i find it i'll post a few pics up here

G

goatboy

just got off to someone who can strip the walls and put on a browning coat.. what primer should I use on this as it will be a cement based coat

G

goatboy

yes as the dude said he could level the walls using this cement mix and then I could tile onto it but as he said that I should 'PVA' the wall before tiling i thought id check on here as im pretty sure pva if it got wet wouldnt be the best thing to prime a wall with
the cement will draw too much moisture out of the tiling mix so i want to know what to use as primer (if even needed) and if not then what sort of adhesive should i used for the tiles

W

White Room

I'm confused, browning is a gypsum undercoat for a mutli gypsum finish, sand and cement is a render.

No pva whatsoever

W

White Room

Not browning it's to soft as an undercoat, a finish would be needed for you to tile onto

G

goatboy

this is what i meant when i said people over here try to cut corners... this person assured me that I could tile directly onto it... so im guessing it would take more than 1 day to put a browning coat and then another finishing coat over it... so could he do a cement render on the walls for me to tile over then?

G

goatboy

better so plaster would be the best option then... but would it take more than one day for the browning coat to dry and then the finishing coat put over it? and what adhesive should i use on a cement render?

Reply to tiling over paint (yet again) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks