Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss tiling over paint (yet again) in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Have read many forums reguarding this and need to know what to do. Basically it is a small downstairs toilet that I need to tile. At the moment there is some kind of gloss paint that has been there since we moved in (about 2 months ago) and under that im guessing artex as it is all textured with a very crud pattern. What would i use to get the paint off? I have read that sanding it is the solution but part of the wall (where the old toilet cycstern used to be) is just cement with paint over it and sanding that might be a bit of a problem. Also the artex (judging from the rest of the house) is quite old and might contain asbestos so I dont really want to start sanding away at it all. Is there any other method of getting rid of the paint? Could i just line the walls with something and then tile onto that? (cant be plasterboard as with that and the tile on top i wouldnt be able to open the door into the room anymore. Any advice is very welcome.

OP
G

goatboy

meh just wish it wasnt so hard to get someone decent out... I dont mind paying if I know it is going to be a good job but like i said round where I live there are a lot of people who cut corners :(

OP
G

goatboy

hang on just though... what is to top me from just tile over the brickwork? it is mostly flat or is that another no no?

OP
W

White Room

Brickwork may not be as flat as it looks, the damp plasterboard would have me looking for any further problem areas.

OP
G

goatboy

like i said the brickwork is dry... the plasterboard had seemed to have gotten wet from the surface of the plaster... gona carry on chipping away at the plaster tomorrow... might just get some brick acid and clean up the bricks and leave it at that :p

OP
G

goatboy

lol dont even think ive unpacked the cam yet but if i find it i'll post a few pics up here

OP
G

goatboy

just got off to someone who can strip the walls and put on a browning coat.. what primer should I use on this as it will be a cement based coat

OP
G

goatboy

yes as the dude said he could level the walls using this cement mix and then I could tile onto it but as he said that I should 'PVA' the wall before tile i thought id check on here as im pretty sure pva if it got wet wouldnt be the best thing to prime a wall with
the cement will draw too much moisture out of the tile mix so i want to know what to use as primer (if even needed) and if not then what sort of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ should i used for the tiles

OP
W

White Room

I'm confused, browning is a gypsum undercoat for a mutli gypsum finish, sand and cement is a render.

No pva whatsoever

OP
W

White Room

Not browning it's to soft as an undercoat, a finish would be needed for you to tile onto

OP
G

goatboy

this is what i meant when i said people over here try to cut corners... this person assured me that I could tile directly onto it... so im guessing it would take more than 1 day to put a browning coat and then another finishing coat over it... so could he do a cement render on the walls for me to tile over then?

OP
G

goatboy

better so plaster would be the best option then... but would it take more than one day for the browning coat to dry and then the finishing coat put over it? and what https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ should i use on a cement render?

Reply to tiling over paint (yet again) in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock