Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss tiling over paint (yet again) in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Have read many forums reguarding this and need to know what to do. Basically it is a small downstairs toilet that I need to tile. At the moment there is some kind of gloss paint that has been there since we moved in (about 2 months ago) and under that im guessing artex as it is all textured with a very crud pattern. What would i use to get the paint off? I have read that sanding it is the solution but part of the wall (where the old toilet cycstern used to be) is just cement with paint over it and sanding that might be a bit of a problem. Also the artex (judging from the rest of the house) is quite old and might contain asbestos so I dont really want to start sanding away at it all. Is there any other method of getting rid of the paint? Could i just line the walls with something and then tile onto that? (cant be plasterboard as with that and the tile on top i wouldnt be able to open the door into the room anymore. Any advice is very welcome.

OP
D

doug boardley

aarghhh what a nightmare,!! paint and artex will have to be removed if you can't overboard.

OP
D

doug boardley

not really, in fact, no. Soz don't mean to be a harbinger of doom and gloom, but both substrates you've mentioned ( paint and artex) are the devils porridge to tile on. If you can't overboard, they will have to be stripped back,:thumbsdown:

OP
D

DHTiling

6mm hardibacker...glued and screwed...:thumbsup:...think health and safety if asbestos is about..

OP
U

Unregistered

not guaranteed to have asbestos (will get it tested) but assuming there isnt what is the best way of getting rid of the paint and artex? Sanding would just take forever.. also where can I get that 6mm board that you are talking about?

OP
D

DHTiling

not guaranteed to have asbestos (will get it tested) but assuming there isnt what is the best way of getting rid of the paint and artex? Sanding would just take forever.. also where can I get that 6mm board that you are talking about?

If no asbestos..then a steam stripper...:thumbsup:

OP
U

Unregistered

also thiking about it the stripper wouldnt be able to get around the cemented bit on the wall so the lining option would seem the easiest way around the problem. So where can I get the stuff from and what will be the cost? Also could marine ply be used if it was glued and screwed to the wall or are there problems with it?

OP
W

White Room

Don't use marine ply like that your'd be better of using plasterboard.

It's not a quick fix job

OP
D

doug boardley

doesn't matter how old your artex and paint is, tiles will not last on your wall:mad2::mad2::mad2:

OP
G

goatboy

well I have signed up now... is there any way of getting thinner plasterboard for the job as I cannot find the other stuff mentioned earlier anywhere near me. (stoke on trent)

Reply to tiling over paint (yet again) in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock