Discuss tiling over paint (yet again) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Deleted member 9966

you need to get yourself to Tile Giant. There's one in Burslem and one in Longton. They stock a similar board to 6mm hardibacker.

But I do think you need to solve the paint and artex issue before overboarding. Maybe it's worth considering getting a couple of local tilers in to quote for the work? It might work out easier for you in the long run.

But don't let me put you off doing it DIY style, just remember you need to get your preparation right before you can tile.

GRR :thumbsup:

G

goatboy

didnt realise you were from stoke too lol. Do you do tiling? or at least the prep work?

D

Deleted member 9966

didnt realise you were from stoke too lol. Do you do tiling? or at least the prep work?

Unfortunately I'm not that talented :lol:

But the forum has a "I'm looking for a wall and floor tiler" area where you can post an advert stating that you're looking for a tiler to quote on your job. There are a number of members in the local area who may be able to assist you.

I found this place as a DIYer about a year ago, and it's a goldmine of information and loads of professionals are willing to share their knowledge, so keep doing your research about the artex as there maybe another member on here who's been through a similar job.

GRR :thumbsup:

G

goatboy

looking at it all it would be easier just to knock everything off back to the bare wall and plasterboarding it before tiling but that would be such a major pain... and lord knows what else it might uncover!

G

goatboy

actually could you recommend anyone in the stoke area? Im from derby originally and although ive been here now 8 years it is very hard to find a decent builder or labourer. From my experience they either do a very poor job or cut corners. Hence the reason why I end up doing things yself these days but if i could get someone just to take it back to bare brick and plasterboard it then would make tiling it sooo much easier... Is there any sort of primer that would have to be used in order to stick it to the plaster board and would it need to be moisture retardant plasterboard?

D

Deleted member 9966

my biggest concern would be the possibility of asbestos in the artex. I've just done a yell search and there's only one company in Stoke that is listed as doing asbestos removal. I'll pm you the details. The Direct.gov.uk website also has some good information on there about asbestos.

If you pop into Tile Giant, they know a few regular tilers and would be happy to pass you the details of tilers in this area.

You will need an acrylic primer in order to prime the plasterboard. You would only need a moisture resistant board if the area is going to get soaked i.e. if it's a shower area. You'll be fine to tile on plasterboard once the primer coat is dry.

GRR

G

goatboy

well taken off some of the artex... using a steamer was ok but if it heated it up too much it just turned into glue and was impossible to take off.. the thin skim of plaster that was on there has come off in huge chunks so now im left with an enormous job.... would it be better just to take it all back to brick and start again? and what are the costs of plastering... the room is about 1m by 2m

beanz

TF
Reaction score
take it back to the brick and board out. It'll leave you nice surface to tile onto. If it's looking like too big a job for you, just get a local plasterer in to dot n dab the plasterboard onto the walls. No need to skim if the walls are being tiled, but i'd imagine with a room that small, you might want to just tile upto a border? If you go down this route, you'll need to get the plasterer to skim the top half so you can paint it. :thumbsup:

G

goatboy

I just dont want to get it plastered again for it just to fall off the walls again in a few years... dot nad dabbing plasterboard would be the best option i think but what are the costs of doing it as it seems like a very easy job... if i could get the plasterboard to my house easily enough then i would just do it myself lol

D

doug boardley

Goatboy, a lot of people think dot and dabbing is easy, it isn't, I come from a plastering background and I would recommend you take it back to the brick/blockwork and get a good local plasterer in to either dot and dab plasterboards or sand and cement render:thumbsup:

G

goatboy

one other slight worry about putting up plasterboard is part of the wall already had a small strip of plasterboard on it and when i took it off it was damp yet the brickwork underneath was dry.. wouldnt this just happen all over if i got it plasterboarded?

D

doug boardley

it sounds like that strip of p/board may have been dabbed on with bonding, it seems to hold and attract moisture

Reply to tiling over paint (yet again) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoponbaby
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks