Discuss tiling over paint (yet again) in the UK Tiling Forum | Tile Advice Forum area at TilersForums.com

OP
G

goatboy

lol dont even think ive unpacked the cam yet but if i find it i'll post a few pics up here

OP
G

goatboy

just got off to someone who can strip the walls and put on a browning coat.. what primer should I use on this as it will be a cement based coat

OP
W

White Room

Does that include the finish as well

OP
G

goatboy

yes as the dude said he could level the walls using this cement mix and then I could tile onto it but as he said that I should 'PVA' the wall before tiling i thought id check on here as im pretty sure pva if it got wet wouldnt be the best thing to prime a wall with
the cement will draw too much moisture out of the tiling mix so i want to know what to use as primer (if even needed) and if not then what sort of adhesive should i used for the tiles

OP
W

White Room

I'm confused, browning is a gypsum undercoat for a mutli gypsum finish, sand and cement is a render.

No pva whatsoever

OP
G

goatboy

oh. can i tile onto browning?? :S

OP
W

White Room

Not browning it's to soft as an undercoat, a finish would be needed for you to tile onto

OP
G

goatboy

this is what i meant when i said people over here try to cut corners... this person assured me that I could tile directly onto it... so im guessing it would take more than 1 day to put a browning coat and then another finishing coat over it... so could he do a cement render on the walls for me to tile over then?

OP
W

White Room

Could ask, it would be better though with sand/cement :thumbsup:

OP
G

goatboy

better so plaster would be the best option then... but would it take more than one day for the browning coat to dry and then the finishing coat put over it? and what adhesive should i use on a cement render?

OP
W

White Room

better so plaster would be the best option then... but would it take more than one day for the browning coat to dry and then the finishing coat put over it?

The finsh should be put on the same day the undercoat is applied

what adhesive should i use on a cement render?

Render is a different material to plaster (gypsum)

I would use a powdered adhesive but prime the gypsum plaster first with mapei g or bal apd acrylic primer

OP
G

goatboy

and why is PVA bad when acrylic primer is ok? that bit confuses me because acrylic primer has the same effect when it is dampened to PVA

OP
G

goatboy

p.s. sorry for all the dumb *** questions but i want to get this right in my head before i talk to the guy doing the 'plastering' for want of a better word

OP
G

goatboy

fair doos so reading that if it was a cement render on the wall then i could tile directly without priming it because there wouldnt be a problem with the gypsom/ tile adhesive reaction??

OP
G

goatboy

cool just hope this dude can render the walls in cement and get it flat enough for me to tile onto... does that PVA advice apply when rendering the wall in the first place I wonder??

OP
W

White Room

If the walls are cleaned of well when the existing finish is taken off, it should need to be dampened with water for the new render

OP
G

goatboy

so all the original paint on the bricks needs to be gotten rid of before it can be rendered then (sorry to go off the tiling topic a little)

OP
W

White Room

Yes the paint should be removed as much as possible

OP
G

goatboy

so doesnt matter if there are a few bits then... there's loads atm.. possibly why the original plaster was so loose

OP
G

goatboy

the other thing is the original plaster coat is really thin.. just looks like a finishing coat and nothing behind it.. the thickest point is about 5mm going down to around 1mm

OP
G

goatboy

sorry my cam is packed away... it definatly is just one coat as im not sure you could put 2 coats on in 1mm lol :dizzy2:

OP
W

White Room

I'm taking a stab at what your've got on the walls and what blocks/bricks you have on the internal walls

OP
G

goatboy

it is standard brick work with about 3 layers of paint on the bricks have lime mortar inbetween but this too is painted

OP
W

White Room

Has your plasterer seen the job yet, if not may be worth getting a price and see what he says then comeback and let us know what he said and we can go from there

Reply to tiling over paint (yet again) in the UK Tiling Forum | Tile Advice Forum area at TilersForums.com

Latest 10