Discuss Tiling over Indian Slate in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Deyna

TF
Reaction score
Morning guys,

One for the future really the kitchen and adjoined conservatory currently has wet UFH and 600x600 Indian slate tiles over a newish (18 years) screed that would be upto code at the time (DPM, insulated etc). Generally the floor in is in good nick a few bits of mortar lose over a large area (50m2).

When we replace the conservatory I'll need to raise the floor level about 17mm so its level with the old living room as it will be knocked through. It this need to be level to accommodate some bifolds onto the terrace. The kitchen area is unlikely to be raised as much due to thresholds in the older part of the property so there will need to be a subtle gradient after the bifolds to join the spaces together for continuous tiling.

Is it acceptable to prime, SLC, and then tile over the existing installation? I've removed some of these tiles from another area of the house and they were very well bonded to the substrate.

Of course, I would install a decoupling membrane over the subfloor prior to tiling.

I would probably use some firring strips to create a very small drop between the kitchen and lounge working in 3 sections.

J

J Sid

if floor is solid then yes you could do as you plan. Talk to technical of the SLC you plan to use as depending on product they will recommend different types of prep needed

Reply to Tiling over Indian Slate in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks