Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling over exterior tiles in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I never tile over tiles. However, in this case I have a small area that is a shop front and I'm told there is a void behind. I know I could remove the old tiles and assess the substrate, reboarding it if removal of old tiles causes damage, but the existing tiles are sound and I'm tempted to go over them. The customer has asked me to. I'm planning to key in the old tiles with a few notches using a grinder, bal prime it, then rapid set fix some ceramics. Any advice would be appreciated.

D

Dumbo

I wouldn't tile over the old tiles ,but that is your shout. If it is only a small area remedial work wouldn't be expensive to do . But if you are set on tile over I don't know bal prime it, but I would use something like mapei prim grit or the tilemaster grit primer as these are designed for non porous surfaces .

I

Italy

if it is solid and covered by rain,
proceed as mentioned above mapei primer grip.
but usually I use mapelastic of mapei outside.
here in Italy it is very common to overlap the tiles.
but it's all solid and no wood underneath. ;)
and when the earthquakes come the houses fall ... :(

Reaction score
"I never tile over tiles".
You've just answered your own doubt, and you should stick by it, as you have no idea how good the existing tiles are, unless you smash up a few and look for fractures throughout.

I

Italy

"I never tile over tiles".
You've just answered your own doubt, and you should stick by it, as you have no idea how good the existing tiles are, unless you smash up a few and look for fractures throughout.
you can always use a hammer
and listen to the sound of the tiles.

I

Italy

in any case I only gave my answer
to the request and specified that it must be solid.
the technical sheets exist to be read.
I know very well how to lay tiles on tiles,
both inside and outside it is 70% of my work.
now I should say a dirty word, but it's Easter and I have to
be good.

N

NZ_Tiler

I'd go mapeprim SP instead of ecoGrip.

SP seriously sticks like s*** to a blanket.

Just be aware of the time frame you have to stick the tiles on once primed

Reply to Tiling over exterior tiles in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock