Discuss Tiling over existing vinyl flooring glue/adhesive in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

statia

-
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm going to put ceramic tiles down over a concrete floor which has previously had clear looking vinyl flooring glued down onto it as can be seen in the attachment.

Am I ok to scrape off any high points and tile down onto it using the Norcros flexible adhesive (after priming with SBR) that I have or will I need to do more to prep the floor before I start tiling?

Thanks!

Floor.jpg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd get a house brick and rub it all over the floor loads to take off the top layer, then prime with acrylic primer (not PVA) and then tile it with whatever you get your hands on locally.

How big is the floor?

Some tile adhesive brand info here: Most Used Tile Adhesive Brands from 2007 to 2019 - https://www.tilersforums.co.uk/most-used-tile-adhesive-brands-from-2007-to-2019/212/
BAL have come out top a few times over the years. Mapei, Tilemaster and Weber have too. All good adhesives so shop around to see what works out cheapest for you.

statia

-
Reaction score
Hi Dan, thanks for your reply.

The brick idea sounds very sensible. It's only a small room, about 2.5 metres.

Reply to Tiling over existing vinyl flooring glue/adhesive in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks